We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuel crisis & ongoing updates - post here!

Melbourne, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Fuel crisis & ongoing updates - post here!

Hi everyone,

My Friend and are planning to arrive in KTM Nov 2nd & only today have been made aware of the recent fuel crisis. Our plans are to stay in KTM for a couple days, then fly to Lukla to trek EBC (arranged by local agent in KTM) on Nov 4th.

We're flying air-asia - does anyone know if any of these flights have been cancelled?

Anyone who has updates over the next couple weeks - can you please post & pass them on here. Especially anyone on the ground.

Hoping the crisis will ease sooner rather then later!

Any help, updates - greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Natalie

Sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fuel crisis & ongoing updates - post here!

Air Asia flies in the Airbus 330 which is a widebody jet, so it does not require to refuel at Ktm Airport

for its journey back to KUL.

Domestic carriers are getting fuel which is being airlifted by the state owned Nepal Airlines so No, worries there.

Taxis in ktm are charging high fares due to the fuel crisis.

Edited: 18 October 2015, 06:15
Orcas Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fuel crisis & ongoing updates - post here!

We're in Pokhara now and have been in Nepal for 4 weeks now. We left Kathmandu 4 days ago. The fuel crisis has become progressively worse the last three weeks but we have not had trouble getting around. Fares have basically doubled though so be prepared to pay more to get where you need to be. Local buses are overflowing with riders inside and top. I haven't heard what the situation is with the tourist buses, I would guess fares have gone up significantly. Restaurants are serving limited menus due to lack of propane and ingredients. In the end, Nepalis are obviously struggling... Trying to recover from the earthquake and now the fuel mess. They're still smiling though!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fuel crisis & ongoing updates - post here!

I arrived 17 oct. landed and waited over an hour but no luggage. Eventually had someone advise my bags were on another later flight as my own flight was carrying too much. Came back later that night to find the entire baggage hall floor covered with bags from various airlines. Complete chaos. Lucky for me I found mine pretty quickly. If flying in make sure you have essentials in your carry on as it's highly likely your bags will be delayed.

Taxis are 2-3 times the price. In June j was paying 350-400 rupees from airport to thamel. Now it's 1000 at least.

Still plenty of traffic on the roads with drivers paying 4-500 rupees per litre from black market. Normally 120.

Still plenty of tourists around.

4. Re: Fuel crisis & ongoing updates - post here!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2016, 09:47