We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laundry

Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Laundry

Are there any places in Kathmandu to drop off laundry with same day service?

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
1. Re: Laundry

Hotels will do it for you.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
147 reviews
2. Re: Laundry

Also in Thamel there are several offices that take laundry with a 6 hour service (and normally are considerably cheaper than hotel laundries)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
43 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Laundry

Almost all hotels have laundry service. But out side laundry is quite cheap. You can have same day service at Thamel, Boudha area.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,969 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Laundry

Hi Lynda

A said, your hotel can organise it or you can take it to a laundry service. In Thamel you will see lots of yellow laundry signs. The laundries themselves are not in Thamel so your stuff is sent away and can take time - if a same day service is essential check carefully that they will be back. Some larger hotels might do the laundry in house which would take some of the uncertainty out of the situation for a higher price.

Delicate fabrics don't always come back in good condition!

scoodly

France
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Laundry

Hello,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

I saw some 3 hour / same day services as well. Normal rates are NPR 50 - 100 for a KG, same days or 3 hour services are probably a bit expensive than normal rates.

Good Luck!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: Laundry

Agree in the main by what has already been posted

The Laundry Services in Thamel tend to be around ½ the price of what is charged at hotels, so, especially if you are on a budget, or have a lot of washing (Post Trek for instance) then it’s worthwhile using and one – One small scam to look out for is that the scales often used by Thamel laundries weigh Very High – So if you can weigh your laundry before you take it, or at least have a good idea of the weight, you won’t risk being ripped off ;-)

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,969 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: Laundry

Laundry prices tend not to rise and stuck at 50 rupees per kg for many years (has it increased?) but kilogrammes changed instead. One way of checking the accuracy of scales is to weigh a litre bottle of water; 1 litre = 1 kg. This will give an indication at least - the water will not be exactly a litre, the weight of the bottle (minimal admittedly) and the inaccuracy with spring balances might not be linear for the weight range. It might allow you to identify the grossest distortions and walk away. Then again, this effort might be disproportionate to the money involved!

scoodly

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
150 reviews
8. Re: Laundry

Even the hotel laundry service is extremely reasonable (by US Standards!) Pack light and have your clothes laundered---they did a great job for us in both Kathmandu and Pokhara!

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Laundry

Do the hotels wash by weight or item? It seems that US hotels charge around $3 for a pair of socks, $5-7 for a shirt. I swear the socks come back ironed on a hangar though. Its going to be several days of travel to get to Kathmandu do it will be nice to get everything cleaned when I get there. I was hoping for self serve machines at the hotel, but I guess those don't exist.

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
10. Re: Laundry

What you pay for a shirt in the US gets the whole bagful of laundry washed in Kathmandu. I have never really given much thought to what it costs. Cheap. If you want to save 1-2 bucks, take it to laundry service yourself.