We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kathmandu to Bardia via Pokhara

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Kathmandu to Bardia via Pokhara

Hello again, I think I am close to having my personal itinerary sorted out now, this is what I have roughly put together so far - could you experts please look it over and point out any glaring mistakes or issues I will face, thanks in advance.

Day 1 - Arrive Kathmandu

Day 2 - Sightseeing Kathmandu

Day 3 - Kathmandu - Pokhara by bus

Day 4 - Pokhara Ultralight and overnight at Sarangkot

Day 5 - Sarangkot - Pokhara, sightseeing Pokhara

Day 6 - Pokhara - Bardia by bus (10 hours I read somewhere?)

Day 7 - Bardia

Day 8 - Bardia

Day 9 - Bardia - Nepalganj (leave late afternoon if possible)

Day 10 - Fly Nepalganj (early if possible) - Tribhuvan then on to Bhaktapur by taxi/bus

Day 11 - Bhaktapur sightseeing then back to Kathmandu by bus

Day 12 - Mountain flight

Day 13 - Relax Kathmandu

Day 14 - Rafting all day

Day 15 - Relax Kathmandu/visit to the disabled kids café that Intothewild recommended!

Day 16 - Relax Kathmandu - depart 9pm

I have left a few days at the end should the mountain flight get cancelled on the first day. Can someone suggest where the best rafting is please? I have rafted before so know what to expect and would prefer the more challenging areas, Is Kathmandu/Pokhara or Bardia better?

Thanks again for your help

kathmandu
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Kathmandu to Bardia via Pokhara

hi Sandgroperwa

i am going to correct some itinerary

Day 1 - Arrive Kathmandu

Day 2 - Sightseeing Kathmandu

Day 3 - Kathmandu - Pokhara by bus on the way rafting in trisuli river evening in pokhara

Day 4 - Pokhara Ultralight and overnight at Sarangkot

Day 5 - Sarangkot - Pokhara, sightseeing Pokhara

Day 6 - Pokhara - Bardia by bus 12 hours I read somewhere?

Day 7 - Bardia

Day 8 - Bardia

Day 9 - Bardia - Nepalganj and Fly Nepalganj (early if possible) - Tribhuvan then on to Kathmandu by taxi/bus

Day 10-12 Short chisapani /nagarkot trek evening Bhaktapur

Day 13 - Bhakatpur sightseeing evening kathmandu

Day 14 - Morning mountain flight

Day 14 - Rest

Day 15 - Relax Kathmandu/visit to the disabled kids café that Intothewild recommended!

Day 16 - Relax Kathmandu - depart 9pm

you have time in kathmandu so you can do 4 day trekking also.

thanks

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Kathmandu to Bardia via Pokhara

Overall, I think your itinerary is OK – The only things I might jig around with are

1) Your rafting, Rather than raft the Trisuli as suggested above, a far more “Interesting” choice would be “The kali Gandaki” from Pokhara, but this is usually at least a two day trip with one overnight camping by the riverside – A second choice would be The Seti --- Both of these rivers are closer to Pokhara and therefore better looked into when you are there.

2) The bus ride from Pokhara to Bardia – You have two choices of routes, the longer one back via Muglin (About half of this is on the same road as the Kathmandu – Pokhara bus ride that you will have already done) which is the faster route as the roads are better. OR go via Tansen, this is a much nicer route, but does take a bit longer – Again, you don’t have to commit yourself until you get to Pokhara and either routes can easily be sorted out then

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Kathmandu to Bardia via Pokhara

Thanks for the replies, good to see I didn't make too many mistakes! The rafting might be a non event because it looks like most of the rafting companies don't start the more thrilling river runs until October, and I will be there in mid September until the end of September. And yeah, the Trisuli looks a bit tame for me! But thanks for the suggestion all the same. Cheers guys.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Kathmandu to Bardia via Pokhara

No problem – Pleased to be of help and I would be Really Surprised if you aren’t able to sort a day or two’s rafting out from Pokhara once you are there !!

Please pop up a post and let us all know how you get on

Best Regards

Rob

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Kathmandu to Bardia via Pokhara

Hi guys, a couple more questions for you -

1. Any buses from Pokhara to Sarangkot? I will be coming in on a bus from Kathmandu I suppose around 1-2pm and would like to head straight to Sarangkot. Or is it taxi only?

2. Walking back from Sarangkot to Pokhara, are the tracks easy to find and follow?

3. I will be heading to Bardia on a Saturday morning, any issues with buses on the weekend?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,854 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Kathmandu to Bardia via Pokhara

There's a road between Sarangkot & Pokhara - you could just follow that. I've not walked it, but there were quite a few people walking when I went up (by car) to see the sunrise. That's well worth doing!

From my memory, it was about 15 mins drive up .

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Kathmandu to Bardia via Pokhara

Yeah I'm staying up there overnight to get sunset and sunrise hopefully, just hoping I could get off the bus in Pokhara and get on one going to Sarangkot! And I didn't want to get lost walking back!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
43 reviews
8. Re: Kathmandu to Bardia via Pokhara

There aren’t any busses from Pokhara to Sarangkot, but a taxi will get you up there in about 20 minutes – Taxis have to stop at the village barrier, so you might still have a bit of a walk to your hotel and it takes about ½ hour to walk from the barrier up to the top viewing platform.

I have trekked back down from Sarangkot to Pokhara and there is no fear of getting lost – It’s all downhill and you can see Lakeside, Pokhara and Fewa Tal below and in front of you all the way

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Kathmandu to Bardia via Pokhara

Thank you Rob.

Can anyone tell me what would be the best way of getting info on catching a bus from Pokhara to Bardia please? (Departure times etc, I guess a timetable might be asking too much!). I have had a very informative email from the accommodation im thinking of booking in Bardia, but although they gave me an idea of what to expect (Leave Pokhara 1.00 - 2pm, Arrive Ambassa between 2 and 4am, then another 45minutes to the accommodation), it seems they weren't totally sure if that was the only option, would be great if there was a bus leaving Pokhara early morning and arriving Ambassa early evening instead.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
43 reviews
10. Re: Kathmandu to Bardia via Pokhara

I my own experiences, although there are regular scheduled buses in Nepal, finding written timetables is all but impossible so that you have to rely on verbal information and even getting this is difficult.

I aren’t aware of direct buses from Pokhara to Ambassa (But that doesn’t mean there isn’t one) – So be prepared for at least one change.

If you decide to go the more interesting (But slower) route via Tansen then there should be a morning bus from Pokhara to Butwal Then in Butwal you would look out for a westbound bus and ask the bus boy to let you know when you reach the Bardia road end and get picked up from there by the Bardia Lodge would be one way of doing it

Another way would be to catch any Kathmandu bus and get off at Muglin – Then again you would look out for a westbound and ask the bus boy to let you know when you reach the Bardia road end

Your Sarangkot Hotel should be able to advice, but you might well end up with just heading off and going with the flow

Good Luck

Rob

PS – Please do pop up a post and let us all know how you got on :-)