We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Solo Trip (with work)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
First Solo Trip (with work)

Hi there,

I am a young female, travelling from Scotland to Kathmandhu for work later this week. I've never travelled anywhere alone before, so I hope you'll appreciate I'm pretty nervous!

I arrive late Friday, driver will collect me and take me to hotel in Patan area (??) and I have 2 days before heading to the office on Monday. I'm not one for trekking, so with that in mind, what other highlights should I see? Any essentials I should bring on my travels?

Later, I'll fly with Yeti Airways to Biritnager for an overnight. This is the part I'm most nervous about. Anyone been here before? How are the internal flights?

Finally, will the weather be warm, dry, wet etc? I'm expecting it will certainly be warmer than Scotland anyway!

Thanks!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
150 reviews
1. Re: First Solo Trip (with work)

There are far worse places to which to travel than Nepal !

Amongst essentials I'd suggest wet wipes, a torch (electricity in the Kathmandu area is subject to frequent 'outages', and while many of the better hotels have their own back-up generators it's better to be safe than sorry), decent high-factor sun cream, and a sense of humour !

Pathan Dhurbar Square is fascinating, as is Kathmandu Dhurbar Square, Swayambunath Temple ('The Monkey Temple'), Bodnath Stupa. Perhaps even a day trip to Bhaktapur.

Can you persuade your firm to provide not only a driver for the airport shuttle, but also a driver and guide to these sites ? Otherwise ask either your hotel, or contact a few Nepalese Travel Companies, to arrange driver and guide.

Whilst the safety record of internal flights in Nepal is not good compared with Western countries, the odds are still very much in your favour ! Particularly as Kathmandu to Biritnagar doesn't involve flying in mountainous areas, so is safer than short runways in narrow mountain valleys.

From a brief visit to Biritnagar several years ago, I remember that it was very flat, and very warm !

Edited: 24 February 2014, 01:53
Glasgow
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: First Solo Trip (with work)

Thanks for your response - I am very lucky that Nepal should be my first solo trip, given some of the countries my work operates in! I am sure when I land, I will relax and have a wonderful time. My worry for now is ensuring I have all I need, so many thanks for your recommendation of a torch!

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: First Solo Trip (with work)

very lucky indeed

nothing to worry about

you can buy anything in Kathmandu if you forget something

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4. Re: First Solo Trip (with work)

Biratnagar per se is not a touristy place. Maybe you would get better advice if you mentioned where you would be stationed , if not proper Biratnagar. This town is more of an extension of an Indian town.

Kathmandu Biratnagar flight is an easy 30 minute flight, delays possible if foggy at either end. Seat on the left side of aircraft for great mountain views on the cheap. Most aircrafts to Biratnagar operated by Yeti or Buddha are more 'newer' compared to other carriers.

5. Re: First Solo Trip (with work)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 06:05
Kathmandu
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
6. Re: First Solo Trip (with work)

Hi,

Biratnagar is in the Terai region (lower belt of Nepal), so it is a very hot place. since it is almost the end of the winter season in Nepal and soon the spring season will start, there will be lots of mosquitoes. so, yes, bring some good insect and mosquito repellents and high SPF sunscreen (even if it is one day trip). for the flights, since biratnagar is in the lowlands of Nepal, flights are pretty safe in this route, so you need not worry.

For your stay in the Lalitpur, in two days- arrival date- since you are already staying in the area, visit the Patan Durbar Square.

Day 1- Visit the Pashupatinath temple, Boudhnath stupa and take an about hour drive to Bhaktapur, visit the Bhaktapur durbar square in there and stay overnight in the Nagarkot (another one hour drive from Bhaktapur)

Day 1 (Saturday) - visit kathmandu durbar square, Budhanilkantha temple (optional)and Monkey temple, end the day by visiting the dreams garden in thamel

It is a pretty tight schedule, so google these sites and select which one would you'd prefer. Hope this helps, have a happy travels!!

Nepal one tours and travels

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: First Solo Trip (with work)

Good info already posted – I would add insect replant to the useful list that Alan has provided.

Patan is close to Kathmandu so maybe after breakfast on your first day you can have a look around Patan Durbar Square, then catch a taxi to Kathmandu Durbar Square, have a look around there, maybe take lunch in Freak Street and then catch another taxi to Swayanbounath (The Monkey Temple) – You could then either take another taxi or a stroll to Thamel and have your dinner in one of the tourist class restaurants there before heading back to Patan and your hotel.

Then on Sunday you could head for Bhaktapur, then back to Patan via Boudhnath and Pashupatinath – Sitting in one of the rooftop cafes overlooking Boudhnath would make your ideal lunch stop

I am Sure you will have a great time in Nepal and probably end up going back there on a holiday !!

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Glasgow
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: First Solo Trip (with work)

Thank you everyone for all your advice - I am so grateful for anything people wish to recommend!

I leave in 2 days now, flying Emirates to Dubai then Fly Dubai to KTM. I'll be staying in The Summit in Patan but still clueless as to where in Biritnagar. As that's the part of the trip I'm most nervous about, I don't like that I don't have all the details until I arrive!

I've packed lots of insect repellant, Imodium n cool linen clothes. I'm sure I'm going to be ok!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
9. Re: First Solo Trip (with work)

Like i said earlier, Biratnagar is not a typical tourist town for westerners, but coming from Glasgow will be warmer. The only westerners there would be people like yourself, on an assignment or on work related travel. Not very expensive, though you can still get pretty much anything for your daily needs. No souvenir shopoing though - but if you go further north to Dharan, it is a deserted Gurkha town, but ample opportuniies for some nature activities.

while in Biratnagar, if you have time, may I suggest you visit some nearby villages - as Terai life and culture is very different from hills, and is not usually in tourist itenararies. A half hour drive either east or west should get you to one such village. India border is mere a rickshaw ride away, but nothing worth the trip across that border.

Back on the terai village topic, because it is not a promoted or traditional tourist destination, i think you should try to arrange one such trip, probably early morning, as early morning in terai villages are really beautiful - life starts at 4 in the morning there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
10. Re: First Solo Trip (with work)

Like i said earlier, Biratnagar is not a typical tourist town for westerners, but coming from Glasgow will be warmer. The only westerners there would be people like yourself, on an assignment or on work related travel. Not very expensive, though you can still get pretty much anything for your daily needs. No souvenir shopoing though - but if you go further north to Dharan, it is a deserted Gurkha town, but ample opportuniies for some nature activities.

while in Biratnagar, if you have time, may I suggest you visit some nearby villages - as Terai life and culture is very different from hills, and is not usually in tourist itenararies. A half hour drive either east or west should get you to one such village. India border is mere a rickshaw ride away, but nothing worth the trip across that border.

Back on the terai village topic, because it is not a promoted or traditional tourist destination, i think you should try to arrange one such trip, probably early morning, as early morning in terai villages are really beautiful - life starts at 4 in the morning there.