We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping guide and porter & Chola Pass query

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping guide and porter & Chola Pass query

This question has probably been asked loads of times but I am having trouble finding any recent information on it. My wife and I are doing a 15 day trek to Base camp Everest, Gokyo Ri- Chola Pass. We will have 1 guide and a porter. What is the going rate to tip them. Which is preferred for tipping - dollars or rupees.

As for the Chola Pass. We are heading there this April. Do you think we would require Crampons as we have never used them before and might alter our route if needed.

Thanks

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping guide and porter & Chola Pass query

Hi

A common tipping rate is 1 days' pay per week which is about 15% (of the amount you pay the agency). This is for a a joobe done well of course.

Unless you have experience with crampons (and an ice axe) they are best avoided and probably bot needed under most conditions. Something like Kahtoola Microspikes might be useful.

scoodly

Bhaktapur, Nepal
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping guide and porter & Chola Pass query

While you hire a guide and potter from agency based in Nepal there is already a cut for agency service.sometimes the guide a d potter really get less than the reccomended standards as US dollar 35 for guide and 15 dollar for guide.but more than the guide the potter are really paid less.so when you are tipping you must consider his hard work and difficult life.I think for the potter better 35% and for the guide 20% as his total sum of salary is already high than the potters. But you still can see other reviews.

3. Re: Tipping guide and porter & Chola Pass query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 March 2013, 16:05
France
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping guide and porter & Chola Pass query

It is the most difficult question to answer. I believe Tipping depends on the services you might get from your guide and porter. My friend [who is also a guide] said me once that he got about US$ 1200 tip from a American client plus another time about US$ 1000. Obviously, its quite high amount that everybody can't afford, but just to say no fixed amount. He also said that few times he had to return back without any cents. So, sometimes tipping depends on services, sometimes on class difference and sometimes on interest. I think tipping about US$ 120 - 140 for both guides and porter each should be fine. I generally prefer to give equal amount to both.

I do not think you will need crampons if you at least know how to walk! I feel better with comfortable shoes.

kathmandu
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping guide and porter & Chola Pass query

Yes,As my experience , You do not need Crampons,but need to have good trekking boot. And regarding the Tips it is not compulsory If your Package deal but every trekkers use to give depend on the service standard,Trekking grade, and you afford.

thanks

Edited: 10 March 2013, 13:25
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping guide and porter & Chola Pass query

gfgykuou

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping guide and porter & Chola Pass query

Am I alone in thinking that, given that the average annual per capita income in Nepal is around $200, a tip of $1200 for guiding a trek would be a gross distortion ?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping guide and porter & Chola Pass query

I did not need crampons, good trekking poles are a godsend. I tipped guide USD 250 and porter 225

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping guide and porter & Chola Pass query

You are not alone Alan. I know a guide who got a $2800 tip for a 10 day ABC trek. He didn't return to university. Sad.

Such amounts will make a bigger difference to Nepal and Nepalis if donated to a carefully chosen NGO.

scoodly

10. Re: Tipping guide and porter & Chola Pass query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 March 2013, 18:36