We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Trekking Companies are Five Star?? Come on!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
91 posts
55 reviews
All Trekking Companies are Five Star?? Come on!!

Noticed that top 20 or 25 trekking companies listed on TA earned five stars. Surely, this cannot be true. How does one choose?

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: All Trekking Companies are Five Star?? Come on!!

TA reckons not to review trekking companies and the ones that do have listings have snuck in through the back door, often with inappropriate headings such as “Day Treks” – Ever heard of trekking to EBC as a day trek, well neither had I, but there are scores of them listed under that heading ;-)

Many of the reviews are written by the companies themselves, hence the number of 5 star ratings

I don’t expect that this posting will stay up too long as it goes against the interest of those that made the posts in the first place, but if you are quick, you might just catch it

Oh Hum

Rob

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
147 reviews
2. Re: All Trekking Companies are Five Star?? Come on!!

There have been cases where it's been proven that the 'testimonials' have been written by the company itself, and it also looks as though some comppanies solicit testimonials from trekkers.Personally I wouldn't trust any review written by someone who has posted only once.

I also would ignore those that say 'After much research I opted for *** Treks company', when there's no evidence that the research included asking questions on TA

Similarly those that say 'I've trekked in Nepal three times with *** Treks' and they've been great each time. If so, why wait until after three trips before posting your song of praise ?

Testimonials are slightly more credible if they actually mention which trek the poster did !

I'm also suspicious of those that include the owner's name frequently: ''I trekked in Nepal with *** Treks. Muni, the owner was superb. Muni met us at the airport . . . Muni ensured that all arrangements went smoothly . . ."etc, particularly if then they don't name their guide. I've found that generally the guide has more effect than the company owner on the success or otherwise of the trek..

Finally, if a company either can't understand, or seeks to bend, the rules of T.A. what message about them does it give ?

There are many excellent Nepalese trekking companies, but there are also some that seem to be a little less scrupulous.

3. Re: All Trekking Companies are Five Star?? Come on!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 January 2013, 07:35
kathmandu
Level Contributor
202 posts
4. Re: All Trekking Companies are Five Star?? Come on!!

Hello headed out

Yeah fine advice has been already given. choose the trekking company with great care as either they can make your trip more interesting or even worse.

Have a safe trip.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: All Trekking Companies are Five Star?? Come on!!

Well, since it is against the guidelines to say that some ones posting on TA is fake, I will instead mention that Rob and Alanyeti's posts is indeed not.

6. Re: All Trekking Companies are Five Star?? Come on!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 17:27
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,914 posts
308 reviews
7. Re: All Trekking Companies are Five Star?? Come on!!

I agree with Rob, Alan and Lis.

Many Travel Agencies or Trekking Agencies has posted their own advertisement in the section: Things to Do. I completely disagree with this way of use TA. I also wrote to TA Assistance about these things. I'm sure most of them are fake reviews, or asked reviews. I know that these agencies need jobs, need clients. They don't understand that maybe if they come here to give only genuine suggestions without advertisements, maybe they will find more clients than using their avertisement methods :-)

I personally don't trust in those who need to write these comments in TA, those who need to do everytime advertisements, those who continually write send me a PM, those who seem to want to sell carpets in a markets... I need to travel with good Agency, with prople who use to say the true, people who make me feel safe, people in whom I can trust like the company I've used till now. I think Rob, Alan and Lisbeth trusted companies are same: true, trusted, safe.

they don't need to do "catch the clients in TA"

Namaste

Rongpuk

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
247 reviews
8. Re: All Trekking Companies are Five Star?? Come on!!

Once these outfitters in tourism industry in Nepal (and for that matter anywhere) know about widely used forums like these and its high traffic they will find a way to somehow advertise their stuff (or try to anyway). For them it’s just one more means to get their word out. Since there are no penalties for breaking this “no business promotion” rule I am sure we will continue to see phony reviews. It is then left up to the forum user to decipher through the sea information (overload!!) of what is genuine. It happens everywhere. Conflict of interest is a rather sophisticated concept – it creeps in unintentionally and lot of times - intentionally. For they see nothing wrong in appearing to provide helpful info while promoting their business.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 16:13
Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: All Trekking Companies are Five Star?? Come on!!

This is getting to be the most interesting thread on this board for some considerable time and is an issue that (IMHO) that really needs to be addressed.

For my own part, a couple of years ago I tried to review the trekking agent that I have used for all of my Nepal treks, now 9 over the last 19 years and was told that “TA doesn’t accept reviews of trekking/travel agents” –

So I pointed out that there are scores of them already on the site under the headings of “Day Treks” and “Day Tours” so suggested that as TA doesn’t accept reviews of trekking/travel agents and as these reviews were in inappropriate sections that they should be removed.

I am surprised that no action has been taken, as a lot of these reviews are suspect (Alan has confirmed this in his reply) that it must bring into question TA’s other reviews for things like Hotels and Restaurants.

Hopefully this anomaly will soon come to an end

Best Regards

Rob

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
91 posts
55 reviews
10. Re: All Trekking Companies are Five Star?? Come on!!

Hey, thank you to each and every one of you! I greatly appreciate the input. I will trek in Nepal within the next two years, and I will plan carefully beforehand. I appreciate quality comments like all of these. Happy Travels to you each! Head