We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing/camping hire

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Clothing/camping hire

Hi,

My husband and I are about to travel to Kathmandu to do Everest Base Camp Trek beginning on 24 September.

I was wondering anyone can provide suggestions as to where a good place in Kathmandu is hire jackets, pants, sleeping bags etc for our 18 days trek.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Kalsee Eco lodge
Kalsee Eco lodge
#55 of 218 Speciality lodging in Kathmandu
Koshi Camp Pvt. Ltd
Koshi Camp Pvt. Ltd
#73 of 218 Speciality lodging in Kathmandu
Galchhi Bagar Resort
Galchhi Bagar Resort
#5 of 6 Speciality lodging in Dhading
France
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing/camping hire

There are numbers of places to hire trekking equipment. Most of the trekking shops easily have this option. The quality of jackets and sleeping bags in most of the shops will be similar. If you have booked the trek with an agent or a guide then probably they might have some familiar shops to do this. Otherwise you can walk around the streets to find one.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing/camping hire

Most of the rental shops are in a particular stretch of street in Thamel. They are very easy to find. There are plenty of shops.

You can hire good original quality stuff as well as not so good ones but then again if you know your stuff, you will be okay. Try few shops and don't settle with the first one you come across. oh yes, and you will have to leave deposit for hiring the goods.

Mentioned in this post
Thamel
Thamel
4,869 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing/camping hire

I found the sleeping bags and jackets I rented rather musty, I wish I had brought mine.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,677 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing/camping hire

Hi

For good quality (and non-musty) down gear try Shona's on Jayatha (near Kilroy's). It's made in Nepal in the shop owner's factory using Aussie goose down. I bought a 4 season sleeping bag for EBC and met a couplewho rented jackets that were as good as new. It's worth visiting a few shops to see what's on offer and make comparisons.

Genuine branded gear can be bought there too along with ceaper unbranded kit.

scoodly

Mentioned in this post
Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing/camping hire

I notice that you also want to rent pants.

Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough, but I don't think that there are a lot to choose from in women size.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing/camping hire

The lady friend I traveled with had a difficult time finding pants, her size was rather small; the sales clerks wanted to fit them under her bustline.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing/camping hire

Same question as above - do we bring bulky gear items or rent for a November-December EBC (Cho La Pass) trek. We have warm sleeping bags, but older-heavier down bags (arctic stuff) - e.g. 5 pounds (-30) and, warm, puffy down jackets. However, hauling the puffy gear becomes problematic with a planned stop-over in HK.

One poster said, renting sleeping bags runs about 60 rupees/day. Can we expect the same for a reasonably warm down jacket? Those are the two bulky items I'm thinking of leaving behind. Rental costs look to be so reasonable possibly a smart decision. Agreed?

One last important question. Anyone experience problems bringing some of their our food for the trip with respect to Nepal Customs? Specifically - Energy Bars (reason being we have a favourite - made by SoLo, a BC, Canada product) also 3-4 evening dehydrated meals to have as a back-up. These would be vacuum packed prior to leaving. We'll be carrying an MSR pocket rocket stove and small pot in the event we need it. Nice for a hot cup of tea on the trek as well. All other meals are to be taken at guest-tea houses.

Mentioned in this post
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing/camping hire

I've not had problems taking dehydrated food, energy bars etc into Nepal.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu, Nepal
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothing/camping hire

hi, i hope you will travel evc trek with local trekking company from thamel, it is no problem for you for urs ebc trek company will provide you urs size jacket..sleeping bag..stick what aver...no need to buy it..just for the trek .

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothing/camping hire

excellent A, thanks greatly. Very helpful.

The bars - try them if you can - SoLo Bars, not sure if available in Seattle - low-glycemic. These are not "Oak-Bars" as my climbing partner would say, but wonderfully edible, tasty bars you can eat as easily as Snickers.