We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

homestays with villagers outside Kathmandu

Ella, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
homestays with villagers outside Kathmandu

I'll be in Kathmandu in November and would like some information on any HomeStay program that might exist in a village in the vicinity of Kathmandu.

thanks,

Any first hand experience would be appreciated

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: homestays with villagers outside Kathmandu

Hello Jane

What would you like to know?

I have done a home stay trek with my agent. He offers a trek, where you trek to the village he is born in and stays for some days in his familys house. You help cook and tries the nepali way of living.

France
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: homestays with villagers outside Kathmandu

Ghale Gaun and Sirubari Village are quite popular for this option. If you want typical type of home stay then talk with a Nepali from a typical village and ask him if you can go to his place for some nights.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
158 posts
3. Re: homestays with villagers outside Kathmandu

Yes i agree with Rhythem! some agent may also arrange you some village trip.

Best of luck.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: homestays with villagers outside Kathmandu

Hi Jane,

This is the best way to experience of Nepali lifestyle from very close. Yes, you should do Tamang Heritage Trail Trek which was my last trip. I have one three trekking trips in Nepal and that was the best which i did it recently.

The life of Tamang which is an ethnic group of Nepal lives himalayan region of the country. You can directly get in touch with them and feel their life. Bridim has home stay and shows Tamang selo. It also offers hot spring along the way.

Ask Tika Regmi at www.ametreks.com for this amazing adventure. He good people who arrange this trip for you. You should remind him about my trip so that we would offer exactly the same which i did it.

Good luck and have a fun.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
328 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: homestays with villagers outside Kathmandu

You should consider Indigenous peoples trail as well.

6. Re: homestays with villagers outside Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 17:31
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,914 posts
308 reviews
7. Re: homestays with villagers outside Kathmandu

There're many travel agents that use home stay programs for their guests. The government for Nepal Tourism Year 2011 try to do a lot to develop this kind of accomodations. Take a look here for example:

www.wwfnepal.org/…

Ok, It's out of the beaten tracks but I think that you can also find home stay accomodations alone in the Valey, travelling from village to village. Nepali people are very kind with foreigners travellers and I didn't have had problems with them ;-)

8. Re: homestays with villagers outside Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2013, 14:46