We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking in Nepal

London, United...
1 post
Trekking in Nepal

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I will be in Nepal for two weeks in December and we starting our research on trekking.

We would like to spend most of our time in nepal trekking and are unsure whether we should book our guided treks in advance or sort them out once we get to Kathmandu. From what we have read so far it seems that most people tend to be picked up from the airport by a trekking agency and then are taken on a package holiday in a group of other trekkers.

We are not opposed to this but were wondering whether waiting to book treks till we get to kathmandu might be a good idea. This way we could be more in charge of our time in Nepal and of which places we end up stay at over night.

Would this be cheaper?

Is it just a bad idea to get to kathmandu without any trekking bookings or has it worked for anyone before?

Thanks a lot.

Jan

Read more: …virtualtourist.com/…ixzz1rliejVvE

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
150 reviews
1. Re: Trekking in Nepal

You don't necessarily have to join a group: an agency could provide you with your own guide and porter. They will arrange what you want: if you want to be picked up at the airport, rather than face the scrum of taxi and hotel touts that awaits outside the terminal, and take you to a hotel (you could look at the reviews of Kathmandu hotels on TA, and then specify to the company which one you want to use).

Personally I don't feel that there's any great advantage in waiting until you get to Kathmandu before booking, and you could easily end up spending half a day of your fortnight trawling around the offices of companies, which would be sad as there's so much to see and enjoy, and if you've organised it by email in advance you'll at least know what you are going to have to pay.

Have you any idea for how many days, and where you want to trek ? Look at the itineraries for the Annapurna Sanctuary, and Langtang, under 'Top Questions' on the Nepal Forum page for details of short (8-10 day) treks.

May I suggest that you firm up your ideas of what exactly you want to do (by posting other questions if neceassary), and then email a few Nepalese companies to ask for further suggestions, and a price. I have put together a list of companies that have been recoomended by genuine TA travellers. Send me a Private Message if you want that list (click on my name, and when my profile appears, click on 'send message')

Cheers

Alan

Edited: 12 April 2012, 06:14
France
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: Trekking in Nepal

Yeah, there are some touts in the airport who say that they have agencies, free hotel accommodation, free airport pickup / drop services etc. You can ignore them and take a taxi directly to Thamel, Kathmandu. I would suggest you to book an accommodation place so that they will provide you airport pickup services.

Or as Alan says if you write an email to some companies in Kathmandu you will feel more comfortable and can save at least a day. There are lots of budget companies offering trekking in Nepal and I think you won't have problems to fine the companies.

But the idea you are planning is not bad too. There are lots of companies on the streets of Thamel and you will easily discuss about the programs and prices with them.

All the best!

Edited: 12 April 2012, 07:34
3. Re: Trekking in Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 April 2012, 12:35
Kathmandu, null...
2 posts
4. Re: Trekking in Nepal

Hi,

Greetings from the Himalayas.

Yes it's better to book your tour, trekking and hotels before you arrive in Kathmandu, Nepal. At least 3 months a head is good.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Trekking in Nepal

There is no need to book 3 months a head...it will only raise the price.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,914 posts
308 reviews
6. Re: Trekking in Nepal

Dear Jan, the only reason to do everything in advance could be the flights tickets to and from the mountain destination you've choose. But this doesn't mesn 3 months in advance, but no more than one month. Last year I booked my flights to lukla one week before, and I was already there in Nepal. This year i've booked my tickets to and from Jomson this monday and I'll be in Pokhara next week. I too I think you can organize an individual trek and not join a group. But it's depend on you, on your habit during your travels.

Namaste and have a nice trip.

Rongpuk

7. Re: Trekking in Nepal

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2012, 17:40
8. Re: Trekking in Nepal

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:47