We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trek equipment for low level hiking

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trek equipment for low level hiking

Hi,

Me and my partner are coming to Nepal in March - 2 weeks and I can't wait!!!

Unfortunately we are only in Nepal for a few days, therefore we are only able to do a low level walk probably around the Kathmandu Valley - unless anyone has another suggestion for a 4 day/3 night trek??

We have just received a quote for a Kathmandu Valley Rim trek, staying in tea houses/lodges, and they have given us an equipment list too. The list has all the normal stuff for hiking, but it also tells us to bring sleeping bags (4 seasons) and gaitors. Do we really need to bring these, or will we be okay without the gaitors and with just a sleeping bag liner?? We are travelling round India straight after and we didn't want to be carrying too much around with us.

Thanks

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu Valley
Kathmandu Valley
Bagmati Zone, Nepal
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trek equipment for low level hiking

Sarah if you can afford few more days then do a Helambu or Poon Hill Trek. As for gears and equipments you can rent pretty much everything in Kathmandu. No worries whatsoever. Heck one could show up with nothing and go climb mountains entirely on rented stuff from shops in Thamel if you wanted to. This place is Mecca of trekking we are talking.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Thamel
Thamel
4,838 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trek equipment for low level hiking

You dont need to bring sleeping bag...it can easily be rented in Kathmandu and the gaitors is 'overkill' if you are only doing low level trekking.

Enjoy...

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trek equipment for low level hiking

Thanks for the advice. I'd heard we could hire stuff in KTM but I'd also heard it might not be that hygenic to hire a sleeping bag. Are they cheap to buy over there?

I had looked at Poon Hill, and I'm still considering it a little, but we cant stay any longer in Nepal as we already have flights etc booked for in India. Unless we just wait till we get to Nepal and book a trek once we are there at out hotel (Ganesh Himal), and maybe they could tailormake something for us - is this feasible?

Thanks so much

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
Tribhuvan Airport
Tribhuvan Airport
Kathmandu, Nepal
Poon Hill
Poon Hill
1,264 Reviews
Pokhara, Nepal
Hotel Ganesh Himal
Hotel Ganesh Himal
686 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Kathmandu
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trek equipment for low level hiking

well For short Hiking Around Kathmandu valley in April Light sleeping Bag will be Enough, I mean the Temperature will not in - around Green Hills in Kathmandu Valley . Either you can Rent Sleeping Bags from Local Outdoor clothing Shop from Thamel. There are Plenty of Shops. The Rent sleeping Bags at Affordable Price. One of Outdoor Clothing Shop we are also. We Also Rent That. The Cost more or less 100Rs Per Day when less then 5 Days per Sleeping Bags.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu Valley
Kathmandu Valley
Bagmati Zone, Nepal
Thamel
Thamel
4,838 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trek equipment for low level hiking

Forgot to mention - yes you can BUY (unused stuff) as well as rent. THey do dry clean gears - so it is not all that bad - depends on level of sanitation one is looking for. For trekking route - shop around in Thamel - they should be able to find something very creaitve for you in a hurry. No worries.

Mentioned in this post
Thamel
Thamel
4,838 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trek equipment for low level hiking

I can't see that you'll need gaiters, and it's possible to hire good clean sleeping bags in Kathmandu

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trek equipment for low level hiking

Normally I would say: Dont book to much in advanced...it is not necessary. But given the fact that you only have few days in Nepal, I think it is best for you to book before arrival. Then you dont risk any waisted days.

Some years ago we rented sleeping bags in Kathmandu. They were not dirty, but not smelling of Roses either. If I have to rent again, I will pick them up one day sooner and hang them in fresh air for some hours.

How many days do you have for trekking?

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trek equipment for low level hiking

We have 4 days/3 nights total for trekking ( 6 days total in Nepal but we want to do some sightseeing round Kathmandu and Bhatakpur).

Thanks so much for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
9. Re: Trek equipment for low level hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 09:11