We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kathmanduwhaatt!? need advice!

Jakarta/UK
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kathmanduwhaatt!? need advice!

Hi there,

I'm going to Nepal in about 10 days to start the beginning of an India/Nepal trip traveling, hopefully some volunteering and wwoofing. My first stop is nepal (I'm flying in from KL) and having had a look at some forums,web sites etc. I now feel grossly underprepared.

My immediate 'thing-to-do' when i thought about Nepal was obviously 'Everest base camp', however its now starting to look pretty expensive. $200 flight just to get to the starting point?? $40 a day on food and lodge?? $20 a day for a guide for 3 weeks!? I knew it wasn't gonna be cheap, but that would really kill my budget. Is there a cheaper way of doing ECB, or are there cheaper treks that backpacker types can afford? What would be the best ''budget trek' ($20-$30 a day) Ideally i don't want to join a tour, I'm 23 male and generally fit so I wouldn't be against going without a guide/porter if it was feasible. Any advice? maybe another trek?

Secondly, assuming i do a 'teahouse trek', er, what exactly is a 'teahouse'? How expensive are they? Can you get food there? and do you have to book them in advance? Do they have electricity for say, charging camera batteries?

Thirdly, upon arrival in Kathmandu I'm planning to go to Thamel. Can anyone recommend s hotel/hostel that is firstly good and relatively cheap and secondly where I can meet other backpackers/trekkers to organise treks, share costs etc.? I'm on my tod till Dehli so would like to meet some cool people, especially for holi which I think is the day after I arrive. (Speaking of which if anyone reading this is gonna be around Kathmandu during that time and in a similar situation message me and we can plan a cheaper trek or grab a drink or what ever.)

Fourthly, kit wise, I've got trekking shoes, some warmish clothes, a mini sleeping bag, a wooly hat, usual backpacker stuff... is there anything that i really should buy before i get to Kathmandu (bearing in mind i'm in Jakarta at the moment, which doesn't have many winter clothing stores)?

Finally, I know you have to get permits for Everest and some other treks but what do you have to do with your insurance? I've read on forums somewhere you have to register it somewhere otherwise they won't air lift you out if something happens? Is this still true?

Sorry about the long post. Thanks guys in advance, I'm sure all this info is in the nepal lonely planet however I won't have one to hand until i get there so any advice/info before that is much appreciated.

Mike

Ps. How much is a taxi from the airport to Thamel? :)

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kathmanduwhaatt!? need advice!

Oh oh pretty long!

One thing first Kathmandu - Lukla - Kathmandu flight is US$ 232, not US$ 200.

Yes, the prices are already on your mind. About US$ 20 for guide, US$ 40 for foods and accommodation [But also covers 1/2 beers with US$ 40, if not beers then about US$ 30 per day]. Additionally you have to pay US$ 90 for guide flight too. If Everest Base Camp trek then you do not need 3 weeks but 2 weeks are enough for you. If US$ 20 - 30 budget trek then travel without a guide and porters. But you will find the use of guide when you will get trouble or altitude sickness. There are some risks of without traveling with a guide or porter. If you are looking for cheaper options the trekking in Langtang and Annapurna are pretty cheap. About US$ 50 or less per day with taking a guide too.

Tea house trek is trekking done with staying in small and basic tea houses. They will have basic mattress for your sleep. They will offer some foods with basic menu. Generally you can think about Indian, Chinese and Nepali foods with some Pizzas.

If you are looking for cheap options then I would suggest you Tibet Peace Guest House. It is pretty cheap and I had got many good reviews about the hotel. There are some other hotels of US$ 30 or less per night.

To meet with other people bars, restaurants and hotels are good options.

Sleeping bags and down jackets are very important. So, you can hire both down jackets and sleeping bags in Kathmandu is cheap prices.

Insurance will be pretty expensive from Nepal. So, I would recommend you to get insurance from home country. May be you can fine some online insurance companies too.

A taxi from Airport - Thamel will cost you less that US$ 7.

Have a nice journey mate.

Jakarta/UK
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kathmanduwhaatt!? need advice!

Hey guideupendra, thanks for the quick reply,

Yeah i guess i'll start looking at those other treks, I don't want to do EBC too cheap or it might get dangerous. I'll check out that guesthouse too. Appreciate all the info.

Cheers

Mike

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kathmanduwhaatt!? need advice!

No worries,

Please post in the forum if you have more questions! I will be glad to answer!

4. Re: Kathmanduwhaatt!? need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 12:48