We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ah so many choices - which trek???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Ah so many choices - which trek???

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between several treks, as I have not been to Nepal before and I have read great things about all of the below treks I'm after some guidance.

I will arriving in Kathmandu 28th March and fly out on the 21st April, my wife and I are reasonably fit and will look to hire a porter when we arrive and depending on trek, possibly a guide.

We are looking to do teahouse trekking, experience both the dramatic mountainous passes and breath taking scenery of the forests and wild flowers. Though were after some challenging days and rewarding highlights.

Some have said parts of Annapurna are now overrun and will be very busy in April, others have said avoid any area around EBC - what are your thoughts??

Please provide any guidance of the treks below and any others that you believe deserve consideration

1. jiri_gokyo_chola_pass

2. ebc_chola_pass_gokyo lakes

3. ebc_chola_pass_gokyo ri

4. annapurna_circuit

Thanks!!

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Ah so many choices - which trek???

Yes, it is very hard to choose a trekking route for a newbie in Nepal. There are several routes to consider before your start your journey.

As you have heard that Annapurna Region is quite busy in March, April that is true but even Everest region is busy like in Annapurna. All routes you have mentioned are for tea house trekking as you are looking for.

I have copied some information below from some website. Please take a look.

----Where to trek inside Nepal?

There are several trekking regions in Nepal. Each region has its own facts and facilities. Different people have different interests. We have listed few facts of each trekking region of Nepal below. Please take a look.

----Annapurna region: This is the most trekked trekking area of Nepal. Annapurna region is known as classic trekking region because of its unique flora and fauna. Even the region is the most popular trekking region of Nepal. Annapurna region has listed in many international magazines as most beautiful classic routes.

----Why in Annapurna Region:

-Thorong Pass is the mostly done trekking pass of Nepal

-Ghorepani / Poon Hill is widely popular view point of Nepal among all routes

-Mustang is known as the forbidden kingdom of Nepal

-Marpha is known as delicious apple city of Nepal

-Tatopani has a natural hot spring pool where you can enjoy hot spring bath

-Annapurna region has world’s deepest gorge

-Tilicho Lake is one of the highly situated lake in the world

----Everest Region: Everest region is second popular trekking region in Nepal. Everest region is famous because of world’s highest mountain Everest and several other facts. Modern facilities and advanced services are available in Everest area than in Langtang and Annapurna. Please take a look below:

----Why in Everest Region:

-Mt. Everest is the tallest mountain in the world

-Lukla airport is known as one of the 10 dangerous airports in the world

-Sherpa people living in this region are famous for mountaineering

-Island peak is the mostly climbed trekking peak of Nepal

-Tengboche monastery is world famous for traditional Yoga and Meditations

-Namche Bazaar is known as colorful village of Nepal

----Langtang Region: Langtang region is the third popular trekking region in Nepal. Different trekking routes in Langtang region are famous for village touring and treks around traditional Tamang villages. Most of the routes in Langtang region pass through traditional villages. Please take a look below:

----Why in Langtang Region:

-Most of the villages here are small and grouped

-Tamang people are listed as an ethnic group of Nepal

-Langtang region is the shortest approach to see closer mountains

-Lodges and villages are more traditional than in Annapurna and Everest region

-Trekking in Helambu and Gosainkudna are will give you village touring experiences

Why don't you try Annapurna Circuit if you are interested to?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
402 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Ah so many choices - which trek???

Hi there,

Good to know that you are travelling to Nepal & intersting to trek.well March- April Is peak season for trekking in Nepal so you couldn,t avoid the crowds in Annapurna & Everest.How ever as, you are looking for adventures,high routes with dramatic mountain views, I would recomend you :Renjola pass-Gkoyo lake-Ri,Chola Pass,Ebc Kalapatthar-kongmala pass trek;if you do this trek definately less people.

The itinerary will be as below;

Day 01:arrival in Kathmandu.

Day 02;kathmandu -Lukla by flights and trek to phakding.

Day 03:Trek to Namche Bazar.

Day 04:rest in namche bazar.

Day 05:Trek to Thame.

Day 06:trek to marlung.

Day 07;Trek to Gokyo lake.

Day 08:Climb gokyo Ri & trek to thaknak.

Day 09:Trek to zdongla.

Day 10:trek to Lobuche.

Day 11:Trek to gorepsherp have lunch ,then hike to Everest base camp.

Day 12: hike up to kalapatthar & trek toLobuche.

Day 13:trek to kongmala pass and trek down to Chhukung.

Day 14:Trek to Tyengboche.

Day 15:Trek to Namche Bazar.

Day 16:trek to Phakding.

Day 17;Trekto Lukla.

Day 18:fly back to kathmandu.

I hope above information helps you to finalize your Nepal Trip.

wish you have wonderful trek in Nepal.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 09:16
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
150 reviews
3. Re: Ah so many choices - which trek???

Both the Annapurna and Everest areas are popular treks, but this doesn't radically detract from the experience - what is has done is to ensure that the lodges are numerous, and relatively luxurious. All of the routes you mention are well worth trekking. There seems to be an attitude that looks down on the 'classic' Nepal treks: I was astonished when first I visited the Khumbu that, far from being the 'Kleenex Trail' I had been led to believe, it was generally very clean. They are classics because they offer so much !

Jiri - Namche is a good introduction to rural Nepal. Before the airstrip at Lukhla was built it was the normal approach o the Khumbu. Now in some ways it resembles a village that's had a by-pass road built around it: there's far less traffic than there used to be. It's an up and down route as you are travelling 'across the grain' of the country - indeed as you climb up to Namche your total ascent since Jiri will have been about 8800 metres (the height of Everest !). It takes about 10 days from Jiri to Namche (plus 1 day at the start for the road journey)

That would leave you sufficient time for foray to Gokyo and Gokyo Ri before returning to Namche and Lukhla. It wouldn't really leave time for crossing the Cho la and going to EBC. I don't know if you can now fly into Paphlung, south of the Khumbu, but if you did that would cut off 3 days, but still give you a very pleasant time on the 'by-passed route' through Ringmo, Traksindu, Nuntalla, Kharikola, and thence up the valley to Namche. Those saved days would just make the Cho La and EBC feasible within the time you have available.

'"nepaltourguide" suggests a route that would meet your request for 'challenging days and rewarding highlights', and the approach route he suggests to Gokyo, via Thame and the Renja La, looks interesting (I've not trekked that route north from Thame, but I'm sure it's quieter than other Khumbu trails). It would be a bit short on forests and wild flowers, but would more than make up for it in other ways !

A porter and a guide would not only make the trip easier, but would provide valuable insights into the culture and customs of the country.

Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
4. Re: Ah so many choices - which trek???

I returned back from a week trekking in Nepal. I did Poon Hill Trek and it was awesome. The views are brilliant. I am planning for Annapurna Circuit again in September. May be you can try Annapurna circuit trek.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
15 posts
5. Re: Ah so many choices - which trek???

Great to know you are doing the adventure trip in Nepal. its the place for adventure. as you claim yourself and wife are fit for trekking I would like to suggest you the EBC - Chola Pass - Gokyo Trek as the scenario and the landscape of the area with its unique cultural heritage makes it the most unique in its own type.

Annapurna circuit is also great place to trek as there are many beautiful places like Manang, Mustang, Jomsom and Ghorepani - Poon Hill and the most beautiful of all the Thorung-la Pass....

but for the experience of everest and the landscape Everest is better then Annapurna.

happy travelling

uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
6. Re: Ah so many choices - which trek???

Hi,

gchanner

Good to know that you are travelling to Nepal.There are many choices for the trekking. Everyone have different choices, but many of them love to do the EBC trek....If you are interested for this trek ,

Here is the itinerary which may help you..

Day 01 : Kathmandu arrival (1300m). Overnight in Hotel.

Day 02 : Kathmandu Sightseeing. Overnight in Hotel B

Day 03 : Kathmandu to Lukla (2886m.) trek to Phakding (2640 m.). O/N in trekking Lodge BLD

Day 04 : Phakding to Namche Bazaar (3440 m.) O/N in trekking Lodge BLD

Day 05 : Rest day at Namche Bazaar (3440 m.) O/N in trekking Lodge BLD

Day 06 : Namche Bazaar to Tyangboche (3867 m.) O/N in trekking Lodge BLD

Day 07 : Tyangboche to Dingboche (4260 m.) O/N in trekking Lodge BLD

Day 08 : Rest day at Dingboche (4260 m.) O/N in trekking Lodge BLD

Day 09 : Dingboche to Lobuche (4930 m.) O/N in trekking Lodge BLD

Day 10 : Lobuche to Everest Base Camp via Gorakshep (5160m.) O/N in trekking Lodge BLD

Day 11 : Gorakshep to Kala Patthar (5545m.) and trek to Pherich (4243m.) O/N in trekking Lodge BLD

Day 12 : Pheriche to Tyangboche (3867 m.) O/N in trekking Lodge BLD

Day 13 : Tyangboche to Namche Bazaar (3440 m ) O/N in trekking Lodge BLD

Day 14 : Namche Bazaar to Lukla (2886 m.) O/N in trekking Lodge BLD

Day 15 : Lukla to Kathmandu fly Overnight in Hotel B

Day 16 : Free Day Overnight in Hotel BD

Day 17 : International Departure B

wish to have a wonderful trek to Nepal

Pramila

Travel consultant.

Adelaide, Australia
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Ah so many choices - which trek???

Gidday, I would suggest with three weeks, assuming a couple of days at Kathmandu each end, go for Lukla - EBC and if you are going well with time, return via Cho La and Gokyo. All truly stunning. Ensure you climb Kala Pattar AND walk into EBC - both unmissable experiences. Best to acclimatise gradually, as your bodies need, rather than rush to try to squeeze in more. Enjoy!

western australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
300 reviews
8. Re: Ah so many choices - which trek???

Hi gchanner

what did you eventually decide on? Have agreat time- only a week to go!

9. Re: Ah so many choices - which trek???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 August 2011, 03:05
kathmandu
Level Contributor
99 posts
10. Re: Ah so many choices - which trek???

Hi,

Please read TA guide lines before you post your commercieal webpages in this forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/help/what_are_the_guidelin…

Edited: 14 August 2011, 11:01