We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic flight round Mount Everest

scotland
Level Contributor
74 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic flight round Mount Everest

Hi

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who had done a scenic flight round Mount Everest. If so which company did you use/was it worth it/cost etc/hints and tips etc

Can anyone recommend safe/reliable companies that do these types of flights or give any other information that may help us make a decision. We would be based in Kathmandu. thanks

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic flight round Mount Everest

There are mainly 3 best airlines doing Everest experience flight. Guna Air, Buddha Air and Yeti Air. Among these 3 airlines Buddha has more reliability and is more popular than others. I would recommend you to book through their online reservation system or you can book through companies in Kathmandu. Please follow the websites below:

Buddha Air: http://www.buddhaair.com/

Yeti Airlines: http://yetiairlines.com/yeti/index.php

Guna Air: http://www.gunaairlines.com/index.php

Or you can contact agencies in Kathmandu to arrange mountain flight.

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic flight round Mount Everest

Hi there On My Flying experience on the Everest scenic flight this is just a basic, nothing really exciting for my personal felling ......so decision is yours off course

There are alot of value trips in NEPAL with what you Pay for the Everest flight... still if you decide to fly go for www.buddhaair.com / (Budddha Air) www.yetiairlines.com (Yeti Airlines)

they are both the reputable company's owned 10 Each Aircraft as many other

Airlines still operate with one Air craft for its nation wide fleet ........

Kind regards

Glacier Hotel Pokhara.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic flight round Mount Everest

I took the Everest flight with Buddha Air last year. Safe, and pretty good - good views of the Everest massif. It certainly doesn't go 'round' Everest - approaches from the southwest, and turns round somewhere west of Namche. The posters for the flight that show a Buddha Air plane passing in front of the southwest face of Everest are a bit misleading - you don't actually get that close ! You'll get a chance to look forward over the pilot's shoulder and get great photos

If this is your only chance to see Everest then it's possibly worthwhile, though it's not cheap (US$160). My flight was a belated birthday present from friends - very acceptable as a gift, but I'm not certain I'd have paid $160 for it !

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
873 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic flight round Mount Everest

My travel agent got me and my wife onto Buddha Air, which allowed each passenger a brief time to view and photograph through the cockpit window. Awesome!!

Not sure if Buddha still offers this, or whether other carriers do now.

Airline was fine, no problems.

Hudson Valley (NY)
Level Contributor
22 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic flight round Mount Everest

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.

SmarTours, our India-Nepl tour company, offered us through their local guides, this optional $200/per person, one-hour scenic flight "over" Mt. Everest. They arranged for us to go on Buddha Air, leaving for the airport at @ 6 AM. (I had read a favorable review by someone who'd done this for $140 some years back, and though I was disappointed by the steep price, I thought, "it's once in a lifetime," and so my husband and I went for $400.)

First of all, you don't go "over" Mt. Everest. You don't go "around" Mt. Everest. You fly along the range of the Himalayas that includes Mt. Everest. All the mountains are in the distance. You are not near them.

7 people from our tour group opted for this optional excursion. First we were told we'd have a small plane to ourselves. But actually were ushered onto a plane with @15 people from another tour group. Each of us had a window seat. The plane's wings were above the windows, so they don't block the view of the mountains, but they 're still part of your view.

People sitting on the left side of the plane (you were assigned seats randomly) got to see the mountains on the first half of the flight, while people from the right side were invited one at a time into the cockpit for an upfront view. Then the plane turned around and people on the right got to see the mountains, and those on the left got their cockpit visits.

The 2 flight attendants were especially helpful, pointing out the various mountains on a small map each of us was given which showed the contours of the mountains and their names.

Yes, we got photos. We also got "bragging" rights (but so what). Anyone who's flown in a commercial jet over the Alps has had a better mountain view. (One irony is that our Air India flight leaving Kathmandu, gave me a fine and free view of the Himalayan high peaks rising above the clouds--but no one can count on that.)

While two women from our group really like this excursion, the rest of us would have prefred to sleep late and spend our $400 in better ways.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
853 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic flight round Mount Everest

The comments and experiences of Alan Yeti and AA Jetman pretty much mirrior ours. At the time we took the flight, we thought it would be our only chance to see Mt. Everest and we thought it was worth the trip. Little did we know we would get great views on later trips which included a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, views from the road from Lhasa tback o Kathmandu and finally from Paro to Bangkok via Gaya India! I hope to get back someday to do at least part of the base camp trek.

7. Re: Scenic flight round Mount Everest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 11:46