We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pilgrimage to Pashupatinath Temple

Thane, Maharashtra
1 post
Pilgrimage to Pashupatinath Temple

Sir.

WE are in a group of 24/25 members want to visit Pashupatinath Temple.kindly guide us for the shortest route from Howrah/Patna /Gorakhpur which of these place will be nearest to visit the temple,plus I would like to know about most economical hotels,dharmshalas, guest house,where we all can be accommodated for 3/4/days stay.would also like to about other temples and interesting sites worth seeing during our stay..

We shall be highly obliged for your guidance.

Regards

Bhupendra (My email :bhupen_manek@indiatimes.com

NpjBnk
Level Contributor
293 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: Pilgrimage to Pashupatinath Temple

Hi

Namaste

Glad to know that you are coming on a pilgrimage to Pashupatinath. You can get a jeep or bus from Gorakhpur to Bhairahawa -sunauli border (90kms)and from bhairahawa you can get direct bus to kathmandu. It takes about 5-6 hours to reach kathmandu .Not sure about the bus fare but I guess it is between NPR 300 (INR200) to NPR 500( INR 312)

As you are 24/25 people and want to travel in budget, you can take local bus from Kalanki (bus park is at gongabu if you wish you can debus at the last stop) to reach pashupatinath area (Gaushala)) [mostly Swayanbhu yatayat Sada yatayat and Nepal yatayat buses] it costs NPR 10-15per person. If you take taxi it will be very expensive.

There are several hotels and lodges in kthmandu from luxury to cheap.

There are several dharmashala in and around Pashupati temple. Gaushala Dharamshala is the popular one. Food is also made available at very nominal price. [ I am not sure but guess NPR 25 per thali]

you can get cheap hotels there (avg price NPR 500(INR 300) per night}

There are several such hotels in Sundhara area also but pashupatinath will be a bit farther from here though you can get buses, tempos to all around the city. You can get good bargain as you are 25 pax [many hotels give fre accomodation to team leader ]

You seems to be pilgrim so there are so many other temples for you like Swayambhunath, Boudhnath (comparitively near from Pashupati), Dakshinkali (get bus from Balaju) Living goddess Kumari temple, Hanuman dhoka in kathmandu durbar square, Patan Krishna Mandir, some other hindu and Buddha temples in Patan.Durbar square... Nyatpola temple and some other temples in Bhaktapur durbar square.

You can come to Ratnapark and it is walking distance to kathmandu durbar square and also get direct buses to bhaktapur durbar square....

There are so many places of interest but within 2-3 days you may be able to visit these only.

Local buses are available for everywhere but you are in a large group so you can get a micro bus reserved to visit these places it will be cheaper and save your time too. Your hotel can book one for you. generally it may cost NPR 1000 -1200 (INR 625-750) per day.[ Must Bargain]

Hope this will help you a little

Thank you

Fuchay
Level Contributor
36 posts
2. Re: Pilgrimage to Pashupatinath Temple

Namaste!!!

Jaya Pashupatinath!!!

Thank you very much for your post and questions about the trip. I am very happy to have this opportunity to give you some information what I know but here I am little confused on your sentence. Please clear are you looking for shortest route from India (Howrah/Patna /Gorakhpur)?

If you are looking for shortest route from India, please let us know which part of India you are from? Then I can give you all the detail information by next post.

Hope to have your next post soon.

nepaltours@live.com

NpjBnk
Level Contributor
293 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Pilgrimage to Pashupatinath Temple

Hi

Namaste

I have already posted a reply to your question but as for itinerary from India to kathmandu is concerned I guess it didn't give you all the information you needed so I am adding something to my previous post (reply 1)

As it is unclear from your post about your place of departure I am writing everything just in guess. If you are coming from Howrah you can get direct train to Raxaul (Mithila express 3022) which takes about 18 hrs to reach( dep 10.00hrs and arrival 04.00 hrs next day). From Raxaul you can enter birgunj (nepal) which is 3kms. It takes about 5-6 hrs to reach kathmandu from birgunj.

Thank you

jaipur
4 posts
4. Re: Pilgrimage to Pashupatinath Temple

Dear sir,

Greetings !!!

Thanks for the informations. These such informations are very usefull for us.

we are 05 persons will travel 15 May, 10 we will visit Kathmandu, Pokhra, Chitwan, Nagarkot. so suggest the budget class accomodation at these places. and good vegetarian restaurent overthere. and curency convert placesalso...

Thanks !

NpjBnk
Level Contributor
293 posts
74 reviews
5. Re: Pilgrimage to Pashupatinath Temple

Hi

Namaste

There are lots of budget accomodation in the places you are thinking to visit.It depends on you what kind of scomodation you prefer. In kathmandu you can get Dharmashala at Pashupatinath Area [Gaushala] or hotels in Sundhara are cheap [ NPR 250-550 pp/n with tax bargain suggested, 1NPR= INR 1.6]

Similarly you can get such accomodation in Pokhara too just stay outside lakeside area. Same for chitwan and nagarkot. To get cheap rate better stay little far than tourist areas.

There are several restaurants serving veg items in all these places. Angan, Dudhsagar, Rameshwor, Misti etc are few to name in kathmandu....

You can use public transport instead of using taxi which may cost NPR 12-50 pp according to distance. There are several banks to exchange currencies or you can get it through money changer too but banks are recommended.

Hope this may help you

Thank you

jaipur
4 posts
6. Re: Pilgrimage to Pashupatinath Temple

thanks for the information,

what about the daily tours.

what are the prices of vehicles.

can u suggest any transporter....

what is the price and timing of buses from birgunj to kathmandu...

what is the price for a car for 5 person from raxaul to kathmandu...

how much distance between raxaul and kathmandu.....

thanks!!!!

Edited: 15 April 2010, 17:44
NpjBnk
Level Contributor
293 posts
74 reviews
7. Re: Pilgrimage to Pashupatinath Temple

Hi

Namaste

The distance between kathmandu and Birgunj is 210km and Birgunj Raxual is at about 15 min rickshaw drive. You can get regular buses from birgunj to kathmandu [both day and night buses]

Local buses in kathmandu/pokhara are cheaper but crowdy while taxis are really expensive for budget travellers. Local bus costs NPR 12 upto 6km 15 for 9km and 18 upto 20kms...I think you can choose a package tour for 7/8 days you will be free from any tension.Please log on given links you can direct send email to them and clear all the things like total cost and facilities etc.:

http://www.advancetvl.com/packagetours05.php http://www.greenline.com.np/conducted.php

explorehimalaya.com/nepal_cultural_tour_6nig…

Hope this may help you

Thank you

Haldia, India
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: Pilgrimage to Pashupatinath Temple

i and my husband r planning to go to kathmandu in the mid of june.is it a right time 2 visit over there?and it will b safe for us 2 travel in the night in bus frm birgunj to kathmandu?frm where we will get the bus means name of the bus stand?buses r in good condition to travel?in thamel hotel rates r how much?at rs 500 can we get good hotels?can u name some of the hotels?it will b a grt help if u answer to my questions. for non veg daily foods how much it will cost approximate?

Haldia, India
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: Pilgrimage to Pashupatinath Temple

sorry another question 2 u.if we want to hire a private car approximately how much they take?daily basis or all total days basis?

NpjBnk
Level Contributor
293 posts
74 reviews
10. Re: Pilgrimage to Pashupatinath Temple

Hi

Namaste

It is not clear from which part of India are you coming from? Buses are quite safe sometimes road may get blocked due to protests. You just need to say Birgunj buspark to catch bus to kathmandu and the rickshaw will drop you there. June may be little hot but you can visit nepal at any time for the best season it is Last Sep to feb...However there are some advantages of off season visits too. You can find many hotels and restaurants serving veggie foods. A veg nepali thali may cost from NPR 160 [INR 100] and some other foods like naan, aloo paratha for NPR 20 per piece and sabji [as per menu] from NPR 50. 10% service tax is compulsory in the restaurants [mid range] and 13% vat added in tourist class restaurants.

Few cheap hotels in thamel are :

http://hotelsilverhome.com

http://www.pilgrimsguesthouse.com

http://www.hotelvisitnepal.com

http://www.lodgenepal.com

http://www.acmeguesthouse.com/

http://www.annapurnaguesthouse.com/

http://www.shivaguesthouse.com/

You can direct email to them and get god discount. If you wish they can give you a package too and I think that would be chepaer.

I have not much idea about booking a car but I think it will be costly

Hope this may helpful for you. Any more question is welcome

Thank you