We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one week to go, some final questions.from a u.k resident

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
one week to go, some final questions.from a u.k resident

1)i see many upper class establishments quote prices in u.s dollars, is there an advantage in taking same.

2)Any very recent visitor hired a car for 4 people?What would an 8 hour hire cost?

3)What restaurant shouldnt we miss, money on this occassion no object,rather value for money more important.

4)Any venues in late evening that provide entertainment or live music in kathmandu/pokhara. which u could recommend.

5)What will the temperatures be like from 30th august onwards for 3 weeks.

Thank you for your forbearance. greetings from Scotland

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one week to go, some final questions.from a u.k resident

Hello Andrew - not long now til your long-awaited visit !

If the establishments are that up-market they'll probably take credit cards - may be cheaper than buying US$ in UK ? £Sterling and US$ are both readily accepted by banks and change bureaux for buying rupees

I've never hired a car, but suspect that it will be hardly any more expensive, and a lot less hassle, to hire a car AND driver. I'm sure that a day's hire of a taxi would be a negotiable amount !

I still rate the Thamel House restaurant for a really good Newari meal in a very pleasant environment

There are numerous bars in Thamel, Kathmandu, and along the lakeside in Pokhara that have live music (of all sorts and qualities . . . ) until the riotously late hour of 11 p.m.

September Average daily maximum Minimum

Kathmandu 27.3 18.2

Pokhara 28.7 20.6

ENJOY !

Alan

NpjBnk
Level Contributor
293 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one week to go, some final questions.from a u.k resident

Namaste

You can bring dollars that can be exchanged as I know many hotels restaurats etc though quote the prices in dollar, Pound yet, take exchanged in the local currency. Many tourist class hotels aaccept credit cards (visa, american express, master cards)

A car or taxi is meant for 4 people maximum and it costs normally $15-35 a day (and in september days are shorter so a sight seeing day not more than 10 hours)

Krshnarpan restaurant of Hotel Dwarika's, Bhanchhaghar,Nepali chulo etc serve pure nepali and Newrai cusines.There are numbers of hotels and restaurants serving nepali, newari,Indian, continental, middle east, australian tastes

There are many such places both in Kathmandu and in Pokhara... In kathmandu Friday night BBQ in Dwarika, BBQ nights in Hyatt, Shangrila etc with live Jazz and Pop music and in Pokhara lakeside hotels arrange such events. As september is season of tourists and festival seasons of Nepali hindus many various events are organized during it.

The climate gets cooler from late august but as the temperature is increasing due to global warming late Aug or 1st few days in September may be slightly warmer than it should be... Due to climate change can not exact say about weather/temperature but it should be around 20-29 C in August and 19-27C in September.

Thank you

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one week to go, some final questions.from a u.k resident

Thank you both for your prompt informative replys.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: one week to go, some final questions.from a u.k resident

Above poster have answered most of your queries. As for the cost of hiring a car, it might be true that in Kathmandu, the cost is somewhat close to what has been said. However, from your post, it seems like that you are going outside Kathmandu valley. So, the costs will be bit more. If you are going to Pokhara, it might cost around US$ 100.

For the weather, it will be very pleasant in September, though there is some rainfall. For weather averages and forecasts for various locations in Nepal, this link -http://exoticbuddha.com/2008/11/05/how-is-weather-in-nepal-in-different-seasons/-might be helpful

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
747 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one week to go, some final questions.from a u.k resident

Not traditional Nepalese food, but Kilroy's is an excellent restaurant. I also like the Third Eye, Fire & Ice, Roadhouse, the Momos at Pilgrim's Bookstore are good and I suppose you should go to Rum Doodle at least once per lifetime!

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one week to go, some final questions.from a u.k resident

thank you all for info..

7. Re: one week to go, some final questions.from a u.k resident

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 12:59