We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overland from Kathmandu to Tibet

Dubai, United Arab...
1 post
Save Topic
Overland from Kathmandu to Tibet

Hi all,

Any budget way to go from Kathmandu to Lhasa Overland?I'll could get the regular china visa done but how about the Tibet permit? Please advise.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overland from Kathmandu to Tibet

It is tough. And constantly changing.

Your best strategy is to sign up for a cheap few-day tour that will take you from Kathmandu to Lhasa overland. Then apply for a Chinese visa in your home country (NOT in Kathmandu) and show them proof that you are on a tour. That *should* give you a Chinese visa endorsed for Tibet.

Then, you can either take the tour to Lhasa and head out on your own from there. Or cancel the tour and go overland on your own.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
93 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overland from Kathmandu to Tibet

I found this guy's blog/site really informative on the process:

thelongestwayhome.com/resources/How-to-trave…

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overland from Kathmandu to Tibet

Hi,

You need to join one of the travel agency,they will provide you Tibet permit and also visa.

Without travel agency you can't get Tibet permit and visa.

Cheers

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
93 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overland from Kathmandu to Tibet

According to other travelers advise, you should NOT get a chinese visa in your home country before arriving in Kathmandu. It will be invalidated upon receipt of your group visa (assuming you are getting in to Tibet with a group). No refund on the $$$ for you original visa.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Michigan
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Overland from Kathmandu to Tibet

Yes, we have heard similar information...also, be aware that the hours for the office that actually issues the visa stamp are very limited, and sometimes the office is open just one day/per week. Be sure to check the current hours, once you are there! It seems the working hours change like the wind!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overland from Kathmandu to Tibet

Hi guys,

Me and my girlfriend are planning on doing the trip from Kathmandu to Tibet in May. Assuming there are no problems and we're allowed in, from what I read we should be granted permits no probs, as long as we're booked on a tour.

The only issue I have is that we are working in China afterwards and have invitation letters to apply for Chinese visas already. We ideally need to be applying soon but if the Visa is going to get voided as soon as we travel across the Nepal/Tibet border I don't want to get it until we are in China. Can anyone say definitively if we MUST use this group visa issued in Kathmandu or if you can use a Chinese visa obtained in the UK? I've also read on other forums that you can cross the border with a normal china visa as long as you have the relevant tibet permits.

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who can help :)

Jamie

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
7. Re: Overland from Kathmandu to Tibet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 10:53