We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ink written notes - legit?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Ink written notes - legit?

Am a first time traveller to Nepal and did my nepalese rupee exchange in Singapore. I got my notes with obvious writing in ink on them so I asked the money changer about it. He showed me all the notes he has and explained that it's the 'norm'. Is it really the norm? Would these notes still be legit with the recent law against writing on notes?

5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
56 posts
1. Re: Ink written notes - legit?

It's not norm. But they are still legit.

The central bank is working on banning ink writing and stapling without success.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: Ink written notes - legit?

Very common to see writing on notes in Nepal.

On another topic, technically illegal to purchase Nepali rupees outside of Nepal and then bring them into Nepal (first time I've heard of a legal money changer outside of Nepal with rupees).

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,278 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Ink written notes - legit?

I am not aware of the new law and the notes earlier this year were just the same as always: plenty with writing on them (banks are the main culprit), holes from staples and many old notes in generally poor condition.

I would not attempt to use the NPR to pay for the visa...

scoodly

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: Ink written notes - legit?

Hi

As Nepali Rupees are not a convertible currency I'm surprised you could buy them in Singapore. You can't use them to pay for your visa on arrival and don't mention or show them while at the airport as they might be confiscated.

Eric

My Nepal Pages https://wanderingeric.org/category/nepal/

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Ink written notes - legit?

Thanks for the info!

Reply to: Ink written notes - legit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted