We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private transport costs

Geelong
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Private transport costs

Hi, We're looking at private transport for our group of 3 adults and 3 kids from Kathmandu to Pokhara. Would love some advice about booking and also the cost? Thanks,

12 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,255 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private transport costs

Hi

For a large jeep or van I would say about $150 but others who have hired recently and the Nepali travel professionals will have better information.

scoodly

Geelong
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private transport costs

Thanks. Is that USD or AUS?

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,255 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private transport costs

Sorry, should have said: it's USD

scoodly

Geelong
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private transport costs

Thanks. Our guide is suggesting a jeep is better than private bus. Though we're 3 adults and 3kids. Thoughts for this size group - jeep or private hiace bus?

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private transport costs

Yes – Agree with scoodly, you will be able to get a minivan (Probably none AC) with an experienced English speaking driver for around $150 US – These should be booked at least a few days in advance, either through your Kathmandu Hotel or a local tour agency.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Travel Pages including Nepal blog https:/…

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private transport costs

In answer to your last question, Jeeps will be more expensive than a minivan and aren’t really needed as the road is OK and there is no need for a 4 x 4.

Pop up a post and let us know how you get on

Best wishes

Rob

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,255 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private transport costs

Hi

I would go for a Hi-Ace too.

On a side note, journeys on local buses can be quite an experience. If you have another, shorter trip without luggage maybe give it a try.

scoodly

OG Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private transport costs

Wanting to compare agency quotes regarding a jeep to a trek start point I recently googled searched transport hire in Kathmandu, came up with a few places and emailed. Response was quick with quote and picture of vehicle. As usual quote In US $.

A better price than agency quotes and in one instance by 50%, but closer enough to other quotes to suggest not a rust bucket deal....again photos help and can be verified on arrival....have them pick you up from the airport!

Edited: 21 July 2018, 06:50
Geelong
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private transport costs

Thanks everyone for advice and info. Our guide has quoted USD150 for a jeep and USD200 for HiAce. I'm still unsure re the most comfortable for our group. The jeeps I have seen have the usual front row (and driver) and back row. Hmmmm...Can 4 adults and 2 kids and driver realistically fit in a jeep?

Oodnadatta...
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Private transport costs

a "jeep" or 4WD has seats in the back which look uncomfortable - might be ok for taking the children to school or possibly Geelong to Melbourne but certainly not for a time like Melbourne to Adelaide. It is also difficult to have a quick stop with one of these by the time everyone clambers in and out

you would be better with a little bus which I guess is what is being referred to as a HiAce - especially if you will have a guide and porter travelling with you

Reply to: Private transport costs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted