We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping Bag for EBC

Mumbai
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Sleeping Bag for EBC

Hi Guys,

Need your opinion on my Sleeping bag. If can use it in EBC along with layers of Woolens, liner, jacket and insulating mat. I have also heard that guest houses on the way also provide blankets to sleep.

My sleeping bag is Coleman 4.4deg C rating.

I am aware that people have mentioned rating of sleeping bag from 0 deg C to -15 deg C.

Appreciate your options on this.

10 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
12,729 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeping Bag for EBC

Hi

When do you intend to trek? This will help people to give more specific advice.

Regardless, I would take a warmer bag to ensure you are warm enough and to avoid wearing clothes, using a liner and blankets which could all become a little uncomfortable. Sleeping bags can be rented for about $1 per day.

scoodly

Edited: 22 February 2018, 23:19
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeping Bag for EBC

Unless you are going during monsoon, definitely recommend warmer sleeping bag.

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeping Bag for EBC

Hi Scoodly,

I am visiting this March second week (9th to 22nd).

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeping Bag for EBC

Yes - Warmer sleeping definitely needed – No point in getting cold when you can hire a good down bag for less that $1 per day :-)

Yesterday it snowed in Namche - You are going a Lot higher than that !!!!!

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Travel Pages including Nepal blog https:/…

Edited: 23 February 2018, 08:46
Mentioned in this post
Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeping Bag for EBC

Hi

I’m in Namche Bazaar right now and it was snowing last night. Night time temperature hovers around freezing. I strongly suggest that you rent or buy a sleeping bag that can handle subzero temperatures.

Eric

My Nepal pages http://wanderingeric.org

Mumbai
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleeping Bag for EBC

Thanks Rob

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
12,729 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sleeping Bag for EBC

Hi Rahul

I would definitely take a warmer bag for that time of year. I was at the top of the trek at the end of march with a bag rated -5C to -10C comfort which did the job well enough with base layers at Gorak Shep and Gokyo. Much earlier in the year and I would have preferred a warmer bag still. I find it much more comfortable to sleep in a bag without a liner, clothes and blankets - a good night's sleep is not just about the temperature.

scoodly

4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sleeping Bag for EBC

Hi Sccodly,

My main issue is I am landing in Kathmandu by :11:00pm and have a flight to Luka by 7:00am next morning.

Is it possible to get a sleeping bag delivered at the airport early morning ? how easily i will get it in Lukla?

Regards,

Rahul

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
12,729 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sleeping Bag for EBC

Hi Rahul

I have never tried to get a bag delivered anywhere but I guess it is possible, at a cost, but difficult to organise reliably.

It may be possible to rent bags in Lukla but Namche will have a wider choice. The lodges between Lukla and Namche - e.g. Bengkar, Monjo , Jorsale - will have blankets and at ~2800m a blanket should suffice.

Good luck.

scoodly

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sleeping Bag for EBC

Another easier option would be to hire a better bag in Namche - Take the one you have for your 1st and last night's, then leave it in the Namche lodge while you trek higher and pick it up again on your way down 😊😊

Good Luck

Rob

Reply to: Sleeping Bag for EBC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted