We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indra Jatra 2018

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Indra Jatra 2018

Good afternoon

Can anyone advise the dates for Indra Jatra this year? I've looked at numerous websites but seem to be getting different dates.

Many thanks

9 replies to this topic
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Indra Jatra 2018

Its on 24th September 2018

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2. Re: Indra Jatra 2018

Thanks Soojansth, much appreciated...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
3. Re: Indra Jatra 2018

Thanks again Soojansth.

Can I just ask another question? I've noticed that the festival goes for 8 days, is the 24th the main day when the Kumari appears and everyone is in Durbar Square? Which day of the festival is that and when does it start and finish? Are there things to see and experience on the other days?

Thanks again...

chicago
Level Contributor
328 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Indra Jatra 2018

This is quite detailed description of the celebrations

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yenya

Edited: 24 February 2018, 08:26
1 post
5. Re: Indra Jatra 2018

Please do let me know about your query because I'm doing my thesis on it. The Jatra dates are essential for me.

shreya7195@gmail.com

Kindly help thank you

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
6. Re: Indra Jatra 2018

Hi shreya s

As far as I can tell, the wikipedia link is correct. So the festival starts on the Saturday the 22nd of September. The main festival date, as well as the Kumari Jatra is on the Monday the 24th of September and then the following two days have further chariot processions, dances, etc. I'm assuming there are more dances and festivities for the following week, but on a lesser scale.

Hope this helps. I am really looking forward to experiencing some of the festivities.

What is your thesis about?

Simon

7. Re: Indra Jatra 2018

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2018, 14:59

Level Contributor
26 posts
8. Re: Indra Jatra 2018

The celebrations are held according to the lunar calendar, so the dates are changeable. This year (2018), the festival takes place from 21st to 29 September, and the main day of attraction falling on 24th.

I confirm the dates. 24th September is a public holiday for Kathmandu Valley.

Level Contributor
26 posts
9. Re: Indra Jatra 2018

Double post.

Edited: 12 September 2018, 12:40
Reply to: Indra Jatra 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted