We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I advance book my hotel after my trek.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Should I advance book my hotel after my trek.

Just a quick question. I'll be doing the EBC trek and after if everything goes as planned I will have 7 days afterward to spend in Kathmandu, etc.

So my question is would you advise me to book a hotel room in Kathmandu in advance for the 7 days after my trek? Or do you think it will be ok to just play-it-by-ear after I come back from Lukla and find a hotel last minute?

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Oasis Kathmandu Hotel
Oasis Kathmandu Hotel
#2 of 211 hotels in Kathmandu
Kathmandu Suite Home
Kathmandu Suite Home
#4 of 211 hotels in Kathmandu
Hotel Friends Home
Hotel Friends Home
#5 of 211 hotels in Kathmandu
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,427 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I advance book my hotel after my trek.

Hi

Generally speaking it will be OK to find a hotel at the last minute. KTM has plenty of hotel capacity even in high season so finding somewhere on walk up is not difficult. You will - should - arrive back to KTM in the morning so you will not need to wander the streets of Thamel at night. Better prices are genrally available on walk up too (not at the higher end places or late at night laden with bags!).

If you are going at the busiest times (e.g. October) then some places will be full and there could be more legwork required (you will be trekking fir!) and discounts from advertised prices may well be limited. If you have a particular place in mind - perhaps the one you stay at pre-trek - then it might be worth booking to ensure you get a room.

Overall though, no problems getting a room.

scoodly

Mentioned in this post
Tribhuvan Airport
Tribhuvan Airport
Kathmandu, Nepal
Thamel
Thamel
4,845 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I advance book my hotel after my trek.

As scoodly says, if you are using a Kathmandu hotel pre-trek, and it's satisfactory, it will not hurt to book it for your post-trek stay. It would give you the added advantage of being able to leave a few things at your ktm hotel (most of them have secure left-luggage facilities). I normally leave a few clean clothes in Kathmandu for my return.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I advance book my hotel after my trek.

Unfortunately the hotel I booked for pre-trek is already no vacancy for after my trek. If everything goes according to plan I arrive back in Kathmandu on November 10th. The reasons I wanted to wait till last minute is because the possibility of being stuck at Lukla an extra day because of weather or because afterward I possibly wanted to visit Pokhara for a day or chitwan for a couple days, but really my itinerary for after-trek is wherever the winds blows me. I know my wife will want a luxury room after the tough trek for at least a couple days.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Kathmandu Valley...
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I advance book my hotel after my trek.

Hi,

It depends on your travelling time. I mean if you are visiting Nepal in September to November or March to May, then I think it is better to book hotel in advance because these are tourists season in Nepal. However, you may find hotel in last time in Kathmandu besides these seasons. But I never claim that you do not find hotel in last time in these seasons. It would be better if you find.

Basically, 2-3 star hotels might be full of guests in September to November. Why don't you consult with your trekking agency ? I think you should consult with them.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,427 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I advance book my hotel after my trek.

Good thinking about the potential flight delays. Visitor numbers in KTM are starting to reduce a little around the time you return.

Where are you staying pre-trek? It might help with similar hotels, or higher grade ones if preferred.

scoodly

Mentioned in this post
Tribhuvan Airport
Tribhuvan Airport
Kathmandu, Nepal
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I advance book my hotel after my trek.

Scoodly, I'm staying a Time apsara Boutique Hotel which is about $50 a night. After the trek I would be fine staying at Yak n Yeti or Hyatt Regency. If those usually don't sell out I don't mind paying $130 a night.

Mentioned in this post
Apsara Boutique Hotel
Apsara Boutique Hotel
219 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,427 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I advance book my hotel after my trek.

Hi again

No personal experience at those type of hotels. I doubt there is any scope for price negotiation at the desk so I think booking ahead is the way to go. Perhaps for a couple of nights luxury and recovery at least (then I would be saving some money).

Dwarika's for a real blow out...

scoodly

Mentioned in this post
Dwarika's Hotel
Dwarika's Hotel
1,200 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I advance book my hotel after my trek.

Scoodly, ok thanks! I'll look up Dwarika's.. I noticed they have two locations.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,427 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I advance book my hotel after my trek.

The 'Resort' one is out on the valley rim at Dhulikhel. I have not been to that one but I have eaten at the one in the city and it was excellent in all respects.

scoodly

10. Re: Should I advance book my hotel after my trek.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: yesterday, 10:48