We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
52 helpful votes
Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?

Going by the current demonetisation which India undertook, is Indian currency still accepted in Nepal? If it is does that mean I need to carry INR 100 notes as the new 500 & 2000 notes are illegal?

Any help greatly appreciated as I'm going to trek there and will need local currency while trekking.

Regards,

Pushan

57 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,723 posts
56 reviews
39 helpful votes
1. Re: Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?

Hi Pushan

INR can be exchanged to NPR in Nepal at the fixed exchange rate of 1 to 1.6 (not sure if money changers and banks add a commission to this rate) and it's easy to do so. However, the new 2000 and 500 notes are not yet legal in Nepal; I have not seen an announcement that they are legal and a Nepali member posted a couple oof days ago confirming they are not yet legal. It may be possible to spend them easily enough in border areas and at some places in KTM but, as you say, NPR are needed on a trek.

scoodly

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
52 helpful votes
2. Re: Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?

Thanks a ton @scoodly for your reply.

Anyone know if Indian debit cards work in Kathmandu? I have both Visa & Mastercard but heard from by bank that you can't use these in Nepal.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
106 reviews
54 helpful votes
3. Re: Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?

My (Canadian) debit and visa cards work in Nepal....

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,723 posts
56 reviews
39 helpful votes
4. Re: Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?

Hi again Pushan

By reports on here some Indian cards do work in ATMs in Nepal (and for some purchases - watch out for a surcharge of some 4%) despite what banks say. Obviously you cannot rely on this and hopefully somebody will have better information but even then, it's best to have another source of money as a back up - which seems to be cash, pretty much.

Generally speaking, Visa cards seem to be accepted in more ATMs than Mastercards (this might apply to purchases too) whether debit or credit cards.

scoodly

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
52 helpful votes
5. Re: Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?

Thanks again scoodly. Looks like I'll try cash and keep my Visa as backup

Nepal
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?

Yes, INR can exchange in Nepal,

your all card can use in Nepal but system can be different!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,723 posts
56 reviews
39 helpful votes
7. Re: Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?

Nepal Trekking i - do you have a link to a website that shows the new 500s and 2000s are officially accepted in Nepal?

scoodly

2 posts
8. Re: Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?

Hi,

I am travelling to Nepal later this year. Could someone please suggest whether to carry INR or get it converted to NPR first (I am assuming conversion rate/commission will be high)?

I need to pay approx. 50,000 NPR cash towards hotels and cab. The problem is that I cannot transfer the money from India and will have to pay over there.

Could someone please suggest what would be the best way to deal with this problem where I can save most on the conversion of forex?

Best Regards,

Vaibhav

Indian.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,723 posts
56 reviews
39 helpful votes
9. Re: Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?

Hi Vaibhav

INR are easily exchanged in Nepal at the foxed rate of 1 INR to 1.6 INR (as mentioned in 1). There are lots of licensed money changers.

scoodly

2 posts
10. Re: Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?

Thank you for your help scoodly

Reply to: Can we exchange Indian rupees in Nepal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted