We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?

Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?

Does anyone have any idea how much? I'm particularly interested in the size that just fits the head. Thanks!

46 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,733 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?

Hi Voltaire

I have bought several singing bowls in Nepal but I cannot answer your question. This is because there are so many variables to consider. These include: hand made or machine made, quality of the material - brass or some other metal; how thick and heavy; decorated with engraving or plain; the quality of the sound; where you buy; your negotiation skills.

Where to buy is important: there are a lot pf shops selling singing bowls (and other ritual objects) from the poorest quality tourist tat to much better pieces but all tend to be overpriced and good negtiating skills are requiredto get a good deal. There are other areas to buy that are better in my view. The two main places are Boudha and near to Patan Durbar Square. Around the stupa at Boudhanath there a number of shops like Thamel, the quality varies but there are a couple of places that sell very high quality rupas, works of art for export and to supply monasteries and monks' & nuns' personal shrines. These places might sell high quality bowls too. There are also good shops to the north of the Stupa aimed at locals - because fewer tourists buy there and the same applies to the shops along the main road. I think you are likely to get better value here than Thamel whatever quality kevek you are looking for. The same applies to Patan too; there are a number of shops that sell their own products from nearby workshops (Patan is the traditional metal working area0.

As for an average price, sorry I haven't a clue but good luck!

scoodly

Mentioned in this post
The Boudha Inn
The Boudha Inn
66 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Patan (Lalitpur)
Patan (Lalitpur)
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Kathmandu Durbar Square
Kathmandu Durbar Square
3,985 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Thamel
Thamel
4,878 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?

Those are great info Scoodly, thank you so much!

Level Contributor
396 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?

Hi,

As stated above there are so many variables that makes it difficult to give you the price of the bowl.

The good quality hand made, head size bowl would cost upwards from $200/-

If required, I can PM you the email of a really good center situated in the inner lanes of Bhaktapur.

Regards,

Uttam

Mentioned in this post
Bhaktapur
Bhaktapur
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?

one shop is there at patan the shop name is golden temple singing bowls and healing center !! where you can also experience of singing bowls healing and also you can get training on singing bowl...it's in front of golden temple patan...

Kathmandu, Nepal
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?

Though there are many varieties of singing bowl in Nepal, I usually buy 8 inch base with 6 inch tall brass made singing bowl in NRs. 1000 (approx. $10). This is the price for very good quality singing bowl. If you want to buy in other metals, they will be cheaper. Smaller size are cheaper, bigger size are little expensive. The price range varies from NRs. 300 to NRs. 2500 (ie $3 to $25). If the shopkeeper is asking more than that, think that there is something fishy about it.

Suggestion: Try not to buy in Thamel if you want a good price (Thamel is a place where prices are at least 4 times more expensive than other local market). Try to buy it in Patan (near Durbar Square) or nearby shops in Bouddha.

Edited: 22 July 2017, 11:50
Mentioned in this post
Thamel
Thamel
4,878 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Patan (Lalitpur)
Patan (Lalitpur)
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Kathmandu Durbar Square
Kathmandu Durbar Square
3,985 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?

hi . can you guve me the email ?

Gympie, Queensland...
Level Contributor
104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?

I actually went shopping with a local. Unbelievable. We went to wholesalers and othwr shops. I also booked the local guide for a food tour on our first day totally off the radar eating local food we were the only foreigners lol. I would five my guide a list of what I wanted to shop for and off we went. The guide would do all the dealings. The prices I got I could not ask myself. This guide is is trustworthy and honest lovely person. I can private msg the details

usa
Level Contributor
4 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?

Hi! Could you please send me this guide contact info? I’ll be back in Kathmandu in 2 days and would love their help.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
9. Re: Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 October 2017, 10:35
Edited: 29 October 2017, 10:35

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?

Caveat emptor.

Reply to: Average price of quality handmade singing bowls in Nepal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted