We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EBC Trek - What shoes are better?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
EBC Trek - What shoes are better?

I am doing the three peaks (Gokyo Ri, Kalla Pathar & Chukung Ri) and three passes (Kongma La, Cho La, Renjo La) trek in the Everest Region during end of September to mid of October 2016, roughly 17 days. While shoes generally depend on individual comfort & preference, I wanted to get a general sense of the type of shoes that beginner trekkers use in this region.

So far I have short listed the following two,

- Northface: thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/men-s-verbera-h… | 1.2 KG

- Scarpa: cotswoldoutdoor.com/scarpa-mens-ranger-2-gtx… | 1.5 KG

Reading online people recommend going for lighter shoes rather than trekking boots... Any suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
170 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EBC Trek - What shoes are better?

Better if you have good shoes water Prof. I did this trek few time and i am going to do again early November but i use light shoes. don't forget bring very warm shocks. good luck

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EBC Trek - What shoes are better?

Lightweight waterproof boots at recommended. You are doing different passes so a good pair of boots are very important. I have seen many people using Scarpa and Noth Face on the trek, unfortunately I haven't used one.

Biggest thing is to find comfortable ones.

Ankle support is very important as well.

Good Luck!

Edited: 27 June 2016, 07:47
Espoo
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: EBC Trek - What shoes are better?

On trails I find trail runners the best, but doing the 3 passes is more demanding, specially the downhills. It also depends on the load you are planning to carry. Those shoes you gave the links for would serve well. I would also consider slightly lighter shoes like these, a high top version of a legendary trail runner:

salomon.com/us/product/xa-pro-mid-gtx.html

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,395 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EBC Trek - What shoes are better?

Hi

As said, the boots you linked to oth look suitable. Fit is everything however, so vitising a reputable shop with a wide range of brands (or a number of shops, is recommended. Beware though of shops recommending heavier, stiffer, higher boots because they may not have experience in Nepal and think that boots such as arkienkeli suggested are inadequate for the conditions; they are not.

If the Salomons fit they are a good choice as are their Comets which I have used for BC.

scoodly

Mentioned in this post
Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: EBC Trek - What shoes are better?

Those boots should be OK, but it is a very personal choice.

I have done the 3HPs 3 times now (most recent Dec 2015 - Jan 2016), and prefer the lighter, more flexible boots. I carry my own backpack.

Do be prepared for snow.

17 days is doable, but tight for this sort of trek, even if the weather co-operates. You say you are a "beginner trekker" - is this to trekking generally, or to trekking in Nepal. If the former, do be aware that the 3HPs is physically much tougher than trekking "just" to say EBC. What sort of indicative itinerary do you have?

There is quite a lot of discussion on this, and other forums, about the 3HPs.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EBC Trek - What shoes are better?

Thanks. I'll ensure the shoes are water proof at the very least.

7. Re: EBC Trek - What shoes are better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2017, 09:47