We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Nepal post 2nd quake

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
In Nepal post 2nd quake

we had one little quake yesterday. Nothing major. Nepal needs its tourists so if you're thinking of visiting, nows the time. As someone who has travelled all of SE Asia, I have to say, there's something special about Nepal. Currently in Nagarkot and loving it. Apparently Poon Hill is fine for trekking, so is the road from Kathmandu there. What I would however recommend, is honing your bartering skills. Some massive over charging going on when you know local prices e.g. 20 rupees for a 20 minute micro(minibus) taxi ride, 900 for the same distance in a private taxi. My hotel tried to charge me $80 for a return trip to Nagarkot which is 1hour 20 minutes from Kathmandu. In Hanoi, I paid $35 for a return 3 hour trip (each way) to Ninh Binh through a 5 star resort. Big discrepancy. Hotels prices are totally reasonable, traveling fares seem outrageous! And why does a local beer cost so much?? Watch out for young boys telling you their mother died and they have to feed their little sister - but little sister only eats from the most expensive imported food shop that sells Evian water! i understand desperation but glad I've never had to fake my own mothers death in order to make people buy overpriced imported food. I think this shop needs to be names and shamed. In conclusion, there nothing to worry about other than to make sure you're charged a fair price., so come visit Nepal!

Mentioned in this post
Nagarkot
Nagarkot
Bagmati Zone, Nepal
Poon Hill
Poon Hill
1,264 Reviews
Pokhara, Nepal
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Nepal post 2nd quake

Is there much damage in Nagarkot ? Are most hotels there open ?

Edited: 18 June 2015, 15:47
Mentioned in this post
Nagarkot
Nagarkot
Bagmati Zone, Nepal
Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Nepal post 2nd quake

Thank you so much for latest updates!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Nepal post 2nd quake

Good to see you back again Upendra, I Hope that all your staff at Himalayan Leisure are well – How was your trip to Singapore and Thailand ??

It looks as though Nepal has had 6 minor tremors in the last week; this site is useful for keeping an eye on things http://earthquaketrack.com/p/nepal/recent

Like Alan said, It would be good to hear a recent report from Nagarkot – So if any of you local chaps know anything, could you please post

Best Regards

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Himalayan Inn
Hotel Himalayan Inn
276 Reviews
Pokhara, Nepal
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Nagarkot
Nagarkot
Bagmati Zone, Nepal
Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Nepal post 2nd quake

Rob, I am still in SG.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Nepal post 2nd quake

Enjoy the rest of your trip Upendra and I look forwards to your reports once you are safely back in Nepal :-)

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
858 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Nepal post 2nd quake

Yeah for the price some people show their real faces. some people are found charging the price as per the colour of your skin. I mean they charge high price for the tourists. But this is not the case for whole Nepal. The road condition to Pokhara is all good and the trek to Poon hill should be good because there was no harm in this region by the recent earthquake.

Stay safe and enjoy the trek. And do not forget to Bargain when you think you are being charged unfair price because in Nepal even in supermarket people bargain for the price.

Mentioned in this post
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Poon Hill
Poon Hill
1,264 Reviews
Pokhara, Nepal
7. Re: In Nepal post 2nd quake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2016, 09:48