We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Items to Take to Nepal for the People

uk
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What Items to Take to Nepal for the People

Hello Me and my husband are due to visit Nepal in October for 2 weeks. I want to fill my suitcases full of items to take for the people.

Can anyone give me some advise as to what are the best items to take????

Best way of distributing them???

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Items to Take to Nepal for the People

I would actually say money, so people can buy what they need. In that way you will both support the people and the economy.

Maybe you can find some local Lion Clubs? A friend of mine is member of Lions Club in Sauraha. They are doing a lot of relief work these days. And they know where the help really is needed.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Items to Take to Nepal for the People

Hi rainbow

I suspect that taking money to an organisation will be the most effective and welcome method of giving help.

That said, it's worth making connections with a local NGO and discuss it with them. It could be they need things that are not available in Nepal or cheaper in the UK (including any duty that might be payable). What is most needed needed could change by October too.

There are thousands of NGOs in Nepal with many grass roots ones starting after the quakes and people might make suggestions if you ask. Do you have a particular interest - child welfare, medical care, women's empowerment as examples?

scoodly

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
858 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Items to Take to Nepal for the People

If you really want to donate some thing I would suggest you donate by your own rather than donating through various organizations. It will make you see the situations of the people as well as be assured that the help you wanted to provide reached the right hands. This will give you more self satisfaction than giving through some associations and organizations. If you wish to bring some items I suggest that should be tent, money and clothes. If you want I can show you the affected area and help you in distributing those goods and items to the earthquake affected people and needy ones if you want any help when reach Kathmandu you can contact me at my mail address ranmeng27@gmail.com. I appreciate your work and would be happy to help you if you need.

Edited: 25 May 2015, 12:10
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Items to Take to Nepal for the People

Most goods of all kinds are available in Nepal, in the shops. There may be exceptions, but in general it makes no sense to import stuff, better to spend your money in the Nepal commerce (and besides it is generally much cheaper).

Agartala, India
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Items to Take to Nepal for the People

Since you are planning to come in the month of October, you can plan items for children only. Instead of carrying stuffs all the way from your country, visit a govt. recognised affter quack centre for orphans and donate something as per your wish.

6. Re: What Items to Take to Nepal for the People

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2016, 10:48