We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking with kids (10 and 12 years old)?

Philadelphia
2 posts
1 review
Trekking with kids (10 and 12 years old)?

We're considering a two-and-a-half week visit to Nepal in late March / early April, and want to spend as much of that time as possible trekking. Based on our research so far, we really like the sound of a Manaslu trek, and it sounds like there are versions of this that will fit our length-of-stay. However, we're really confused about whether that trek would be appropriate for our kids. They're ages 10 and 12, are in very good physical shape, and are experienced hikers. Seems to me that our younger child could handle anything that your average American 62-year-old could handle (if not more). However, the trekking companies we've spoken to so far have given widely varying feedback -- some seem to think it'd be no big deal for our kids, others seem to think we're courting disaster. Has anyone done the Manaslu trek with kids this age? If Manaslu is truly inadvisable, we'd be interested in recommendations for alternative treks, but we're very intent on (1) avoiding big crowds (no Poon Hill!) and (2) taking a 'real' trek that is representative of the best that Nepal has to offer. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Trekking with kids (10 and 12 years old)?

i think Mt. Manaslu trek is little high for 10 / 12 years kids, try to Ganesh Himal Ruby valley trek which is newly opened and not crowded and of course this reason is Part of real Nepal you can feel.

thanks

Simbir Ghale

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Trekking with kids (10 and 12 years old)?

Good advice from trekkingto. You may not have problems crossing the Larki La but children and teenagers generally acclimatize less well and you could run into altitude problems.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
393 reviews
3. Re: Trekking with kids (10 and 12 years old)?

A possibility is to combine Tamang Heritage (quieter and less touristy) with Langtang and/or Gosainkund and/or Helambu.

Opinions about altitude acclimatization vary indeed widely, I guess that would be your own respnsability as parents to decide on that matter. The personal experience of one or two other children is irrelevant, because each of us reacts differently.

Edited: 07 August 2014, 13:40
Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Trekking with kids (10 and 12 years old)?

I Have Nothing but Admiration for parents who take their children trekking in Nepal as it gives them a wonderful “Education” in how others live and that there are many more important things in life rather than the latest game for their computers ;-)

But having said that, you obviously want to minimise any risks, and therefore trek selection is very important.

There seems to be a lot of varying opinions on how children cope with altitude, so with that in mind, maybe The Manaslu Circuit might not be the ideal first choice, this being reflected in the opinions that you have received from the trekking companies that you have contacted.

So – Other choices of none touristy / wilderness treks that don’t have the drawbacks of the high passes that you would encounter on The Manaslu Circuit.

As already suggested, The Tamang Heritage Trail fits this bill – But my own choice would be The Arun Valley.

My Reasoning’s are

1) No High Passes

2) This is a real wilderness trek and the likelihood of meting lots of other trekkers is nil

3) The fits your timescale well

4) There are escape routes to Phaplu if things don’t go as well as expected

5) If you wish, you could do an extra 4 days from Paiya to Namche Bazaar and then return to Lukla and fly out form there as this would give you a glimpse of Everest

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Philadelphia
2 posts
1 review
5. Re: Trekking with kids (10 and 12 years old)?

Thanks into-thin-air and to all for the very useful information!

I've started looking into Arun Valley, Ganesh Himal Ruby Valley and Tamang Heritage.

From another source, we were recommended to consider (1) Kopra Ridge and (2) Mardi Himal. I'd really like to do a trek that has spectacular mountain views, and it looks like both of these might have that. Pros/cons, as compared with the other treks listed above?

Again, thanks everyone for your very kind advice.

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
6. Re: Trekking with kids (10 and 12 years old)?

I would also avoid a trek which requires crossing a high pass. It would be a tough decision if time was short and somebody would develop AMS before the pass if you should turn back (no time to wait out, no time to hike al the way back). Arun Valley is hot., but not in the positive way. Kopra ridge looks really good from what I have seen, and getting there over Ghorepani/Poon Hill is not all that bad.

7. Re: Trekking with kids (10 and 12 years old)?

Hi Matthew,

To avoid the crowd I would advice you Pikey trek in lower Everest region maximum altitude 13,766ft in this region you have to do camping trek you will encounter some trekker from Bhandar to Jiri the ancient trail of Everest base camp. I went this trek this year April with school supporting team in Phapare village. You will experience the amazing view and the village people life style

8. Re: Trekking with kids (10 and 12 years old)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 09:47