We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with young kids - Chitwan vs Pokhara

Dhaka
Level Contributor
70 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with young kids - Chitwan vs Pokhara

Hi!

I am travelling to Nepal for four nights five days with my two kids (aged 2 and 5). We are confused about which would be a better place to go from Kathamandu - Pokhara or Chitwan considering what would have more things suitable for young kids. Wanted some suggestions. Also any suggestion about a good hotel would be a big help. My budget is around Max USD 100 per night.

Secondly Want to do one day trip outside Kathamandu. What would be better - Bhaktapur or Patan. Can anyone suggest a good company from where I can rent a car with a driver for the day trip?

And finally wanted to buy some good quality Pashmina shawl so wanted names of some real genuine shops where I can be sure I am getting the real thing.

My travel dates are 29th April to 3rd May.

Looking forward to some great suggestions.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan District, Nepal
Bhaktapur
Bhaktapur
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Patan (Lalitpur)
Patan (Lalitpur)
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
France
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with young kids - Chitwan vs Pokhara

Hello,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

Chitwan is for safari where Pokhara is for sightseeing and for views of Himalayas from a bit closer. These recent months or may be years travelers are complaining that they are not able to find animals in Chitwan. Basically jeep drive, jungle walk, village walk. cultural show, elephant back safari etc. are in Chitwan. Pokhara is totally different, mountains, monuments, small waterfalls, caves, religious sites, gorge etc. are in Pokhara.

Both Bhaktapur and Patan is doable in a day. Most companies do it as day tour. I use Himalaya Leisure for arranging my trips in Nepal. I trekked with the owner numerous times in the past.

One of my friend in Thamel who has these kind of Cashmere or Pashmina shop in Thamel says it's not easy to find 100% real Pashmina shawl / products though shopkeepers claim that it's 100% real Pashmina.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan District, Nepal
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Bhaktapur
Bhaktapur
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Patan (Lalitpur)
Patan (Lalitpur)
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Hotel Himalaya
Hotel Himalaya
376 Reviews
Patan (Lalitpur), Nepal
Thamel
Thamel
4,842 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
R K
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
116 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with young kids - Chitwan vs Pokhara

Honestly I would not take kids to chitwan. I know many people do and say it's fine, but I've met two people who say they've been chased by things in the park (on two different occasions) and had to climb trees and I once met a doctor who worked in a hospital near chitwan who basically said accidents involving animals were not as rare as one might expect. Granted both of these conversations were several years ago and if animal sightings are down maybe accidents are as well, but i've had more than one person tell me that if you go to chitwan you should be prepared to run/climb a tree if you need to. Basically the word on the street was that a lot of guides work there because the money is good but most accept that walking in the park is not the safest occupation. Most people who go to chitwan are 100% fine, but I've heard enough about the park that would make me think twice before walking through it with kids. As for pashminas and cashmere, don't trust the tags in the shops, they pretty much are all wrong, in fact a friend of mine had a shop where the only real stuff was the stuff without tags and it's significantly more expensive. If you want complete assurance that what you are buying is the real deal and the best quality, check out tara oriental in Lazimpat. It is very expensive but it is a major supplier for high end western fashion houses and it's really the best quality available if you're willing to pay the premium.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with young kids - Chitwan vs Pokhara

Pokhara might be better but children may also like seeing crocodiles and elephants or rhinos. Even I think Pokhara might be better comparing to Chitwan.

In Pokhara you can try Hotel Trekkers Inn, I keep my customers there quite a lot and they have positive feedback. I also have stayed here couple of times.

Mentioned in this post
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan District, Nepal
Hotel Trekkers Inn
Hotel Trekkers Inn
22 Reviews
Pokhara, Nepal
uk
Level Contributor
345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with young kids - Chitwan vs Pokhara

I recently did both and preferred Pokhara which has activities such as boating, paragliding, day hikes etc. But given the ages of your kids I think they would prefer Chitwan due to the animals.

If you are a big wildlife lover and have been to Africa etc Chitwan will be a BIG disappointment, you will see the usual crocodiles and elephants but not much else even though you will hear everyone mention tigers you have more chance of winning the lottery than seeing one. Also there is a question of elephants being badly treated.

Regarding safety, I don’t think there is anything to worry about, not more than you would face in any other area e.g. pokhara/Kathmandu. The guides are good and there are no dangerous animals

Mentioned in this post
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan District, Nepal
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
5. Re: Traveling with young kids - Chitwan vs Pokhara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 09:46