We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nepal & Tibet

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
45 posts
619 reviews
Save Topic
Nepal & Tibet

Hi,

Im planning trip to Nepal and Tibet for next year (2015) mid-end February. My entry & exit point will be Kathmandu, Nepal.I have several questions and hope you can help me out.

1. Would 9 to 11 days would be enough to explore both country, or it would be too rushing? I have no plans which places to go yet.

2. How the weather would be on February? Is that a good time to visit both place?

3. How much does the tour to Tibet usually cost? A rough estimation for 5 days trip. Say, take a flight to Lhasa and take a tour from there to return to Nepal. or the other way round.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nepal & Tibet

that is not enough time

11 - 14 days would be better to see a little bit of Nepal

you should allow another 10 - 14 days to go to Tibet the way you mentioned

Sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nepal & Tibet

Flights from ktm to lhasa and back are very steeply priced.

3. Re: Nepal & Tibet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 05:57
Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nepal & Tibet

I agree with the other posters that your timescale is far too short to visit both countries – 9 to 11 days is Very Short for Nepal alone – You could just about fit in flying into Kathmandu, a Chitwan trip, a few days in Pokhara with the possibility of a very short trek and then back to Kathmandu for your sightseeing there and in the valley and it would be time to go home.

Rather than trying to do the headless chicken impersonation, my own “Best Advice” would be to temper your plans and stick to Nepal this time around ;-)

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
308 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nepal & Tibet

My husband and I are researching a side trip to Lhasa from Kathmandu. We are doing the EBC Trek in November and wanted to do a short (4 night) visit to Lhasa following our trek. Here's some of the useful information we have gotten:

The air flights to Lhasa cost between $750US and $850US round trip from Kathmandu. Flights appear to depart on Tuesdays and Saturdays only.

You must have a guide in Tibet (meaning you can't sightsee on your own). For a 4 night guided tour of the Lhasa region, we have been quoted around $650 pp (without air using tourist class hotels) by nearly every agency we have contacted.

The altitude in Lhasa is around 12,000 feet, so AMS may be an issue if you fly into Tibet without any prior acclimatization.

A tour which goes overland to Lhasa from Kathmandu is cheaper (we didn't look into it because we don't have enough time, so I can't give you an exact cost), but takes a minimum of 8 nights (5 enroute to Lhasa and 3 nights in Lhasa). The return to KTM is via air.

It takes a minimum of 2-3 business days to obtain the travel for Tibet in Nepal. For US citizens, the cost is around $175. I understand that you can get an expedited visa at an extra cost. Visas for other nationalities is less expensive (if my husband uses his Belgian passport instead of his US passport, the cost is only $85 for a visa).

There is no point in obtaining a visa from the Chinese Consulate/Embassy in your home country in advance. Apparently there is one type of permit only for travel between KTM and Lhasa which must be obtained in KTM. Once you apply for this, the Chinese authorities cancel the visa you obtained elsewhere.

Hope this information helps.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 22:57
Espoo
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nepal & Tibet

Re #5: It is unwise to take a car from Kathmandu to Lhasa unless one is well pre-acclimatized. This is because several days and nights are spent at 4-5000m altitudes without proper acclimatization, some people have actually died from this. It is much better, safer and more comfortable to fly to Lhasa (even though many suffer a bit there also, but seldom in a life threatening way) and then take a jeep ride back to Nepal.

For a short trip to Tibet using a car for either leg is not an option, fly both ways.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
45 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nepal & Tibet

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice, after much though, I have decided to spend the 11 days in Nepal only. Even in Nepal there are so many thing to do and see. Tibet is definitely in my list and I will be visiting really soon.

Shahul

8. Re: Nepal & Tibet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 11:57