We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapurna circuit and BC

Santiago, Chile
1 post
Annapurna circuit and BC

Hi all, my girlfriend and I want to do the AC and the ABC, and we want to know if is posible since we arrive to KTM on the 16th of February an live from KTM on the 12th of march (25 days in nepal)

The other thing is if we can do it by our self, we have allready done a couple of long solo treks, though weren't at high altitud. We're in our mid twenties.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Annapurna circuit and BC

First of all, yes, you can trek AC and ABC as independent trekkers and don’t have to hire any trekking staff, however many trekkers hire a porter/guide as he will both guide you and carry around 15k, so this saves you carrying some of your own kit and therefore, if you can budget for it, it might make your trek more informed and easier as well as providing some much need employment to a local

To fit AC and ABC into 25 days is a bit tight, but doable – You can now save a few days on the eastern side of the trek by catching a jeep towards Manang, you can also save another couple of days between Jomsom and Tatapani by again catching a jeep as I don’t think you have the time to trek all the route

Also, the NATT guides may be useful to you

nepal-dia.de/Trekking_the_Annapurna_Circuit_…

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,269 posts
400 reviews
2. Re: Annapurna circuit and BC

Good hikers can combine the Ciruict + ABC from 18 days. Even possibly 17. So you've got a margin.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Annapurna circuit and BC

Sorry to have to disagree with the above posters statement – But to do the Full AC and combine it with ABC in 18 days (Unless Pre-Acclimatised) – You could well up being a Dead Hiker

Please Read

www.ismm.org/index.php/prevention.html…

On acclimatisation rules – Don’t even be tempted to ignore these, I have already passed the body of one dead trekker who was misguided enough to think that acclimatisation rules didn’t apply to him and then paid the ultimate price – His life

Best Regards

Rob

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
4. Re: Annapurna circuit and BC

I made a quick day count and ended up with 21 days KTM-Bhulbhule-ABC-Phedi-Pokhara. This even includes the Marpha to Tatopani part on foot (2 days) which can be now travelled by jeep/bus in one day if time is tight. This calculation is based on my own treks in -06, -09 and -13 with my wife, She is now 55 and I'll be turning 60. So 18 days is not totally impossible, 20 is even realistic.

Taking the high trail from Pisang via Ghyaru and Ngawal and sleeping there in either village (Ghyaru is higher, thus better) saves also one day as you do not need to stay in Manang for two days to acclimate. If you acclimate well you can also go straight from Manang to Thorong Phedi (but not High Camp) as the distance is not great. I have done that twice without ill effects in the old days when there were no lodges between Manang and Thorong Phedi at all. Of course saying that out loud is not politically correct at this day and age, but we, first timers in Nepal, hiked up to Thorong La in 2:30 flat from Thorong Phedi (as we have done every time), leaving comfortably after sunrise, not at the godforsaken hour of 0300 or something.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,269 posts
400 reviews
5. Re: Annapurna circuit and BC

I wrote that because I can do it in 18 days. That means other people also can. Especially considering I'm 57.

But I wrote FROM 17 days, Obvioiusly it's not for everyone.

6. Re: Annapurna circuit and BC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 11:47