We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transferring data from SD cards to external hard drive

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transferring data from SD cards to external hard drive

Hi! I will be doing the EBC-Gokyo trek soon and I plan to take a lot of photos and videos of the trek. I don't think I will have enough SD cards to hold the amount of photos/videos I'll probably be taking (since I'll still be staying in Nepal for another 2 weeks after the trek) so I'm thinking of bringing a portable external hard drive to transfer data from the cards.

My question is are there any computers or facilities beyond Namche that would allow me to transfer the data from my cards to the hard drive?

Thanks for reading!

Mentioned in this post
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transferring data from SD cards to external hard drive

I imagine that it's possible in Namche, but I don't know beyond there. It's certainly possible once you get back to Kathmandu

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transferring data from SD cards to external hard drive

there are cyber cafes in Dingboche as well as Namche - so if you time it right yes you could do it.

every lodge owner seems to have a comupter these days - so if you ask them kindly (or via your guide) they might even let you use it

unless you are planning to take several hours of hi-def videos a 64 GB flash card is more than plenty

which should not cost you more than $40-50 online

64GB = ~3000 highest resolution RAW+JPEGS or 10 hours of hi def video

(or olnly take 1500 hisgest reslution stills with your full frame camera and only 5 hours of video)

:0)

in summary unless you are a film maker or planning to do an extensive time lapse stuff you will be ok with even common 16 to 32 GB SD cards

Edited: 03 February 2014, 18:21
Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transferring data from SD cards to external hard drive

Hello,

It is also doable in Lobuche. There is small internet cafe with Laptops available, you can just do there. I saw saw cafe in Gorakshep so I think it's possible to transfer files there.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transferring data from SD cards to external hard drive

Lots of good info already posted

Personally, I think I would transfer all your images to disk before leaving Kathmandu so as to have empty SD cards, and then if you still think you will be short, buy another in Kathmandu before heading off on trek - Spending a few extra $’s will save you a lot of hassles ;-)

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Edited: 03 February 2014, 21:34
Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
434 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transferring data from SD cards to external hard drive

An external (or internal) hard drive isn't a good idea at altitude. For example, Seagate drives aren't designed to work above 3000m; see …seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/205031en…

It's a mistake to be too cheap on such a trip -- buy the extra card(s) you'll need!

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,894 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transferring data from SD cards to external hard drive

Stand warranty for hard drives says max 3000 meters. Some years back when I did Ladakh-Nepal-Tibet In one long trip I met two travellers with crashed portable hard drives - one crashed enroute to Gyantse in our jeep. I've used a portable drive up to 4000 meters , nowadays I just buy bigger cards. Bigger cards will be cheaper than carrying a reliable HD , as long as you don't shoot in RAW. If you do carry a drive , pack it in the center of your sleeping bag.

If you make back up copies in net cafes in Ktm etc beware of the viruses that are endemic in that environment - lock your SD card in read only mode. I learned that the hard way -have one card that is impossible to read on all Windows machines . Make two copies , one in your pack and send one home.

Mentioned in this post
Tribhuvan Airport
Tribhuvan Airport
Kathmandu, Nepal
Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transferring data from SD cards to external hard drive

Thanks for all the replies! They have been very helpful! Yes, I think I will bring extra cards that have larger memories and maybe I will find a safe deposit box in Kathmandu where I can store my portable drive so I can transfer them back in Kathmandu when I return and still have enough memory for the rest of the month. Thanks guys! :)

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transferring data from SD cards to external hard drive

Hi Noanna,

Another option:

www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/UDMA-2/

This does'nt need a computer to transfer pictures from memory cards to internal storage disk. Basically, its a backup solution for your pictures. Put in a 256GB/512GB/1TB SSD (solid state drive) .... and, u have a storage solution too for long travels.

I agree .... HDDs are not the way to go.

cheers,

- manish

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transferring data from SD cards to external hard drive

Memory cards are now so cheap that it is 80% cheaper to use those cards JUST ONCE than shoot slide film… If you still remember what it was. Lugging a HDD around to empty the cards into in order to save money does not make much sense to me, besides there is the altitude problem with standard hard drives like already mentioned. In some case having backups might be sensible, but I have not had any card failures in almost 10 years of professional shooting. Just do not loose the cards, that is it. And take enough of them. On my last trips to Asia I have had over 300 GB worth of cards ( I shoot RAW, 25-43 MB each), compared to the cost of the trip they are cheap and last practically forever. Have a hard case for them so that they do not get squashed in your pack.

10. Re: Transferring data from SD cards to external hard drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 10:50