We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everest base camp trek in February 2014

manchester
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Everest base camp trek in February 2014

Hi I'm in Nepal for 3 weeks at the end of February 2013 till mid march and me and my partner were wanting to do the everest base camp trek I have been looking at prices online and they all seem pretty steep at over $1000 aus dollars so I was wandering if I wait till I'm in Kathmandu can I book a cheaper company for the standard 15day trek and if so can you recommend any? Also it seems there are no tours going on at this time of the year from what I can see online, do you think it will be a lot easier to just get there and book a tour there as I've read February/march is good trekking climate, any advice greatly appreciated :)

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Everest base camp trek in February 2014

feb/march is still bit early for an average trekker

as there would be lot snow on the trail becasue of winter

but there are people who have done winter trek -

late apr-early may would more ideal time if you can shift it at all

as for trekking you could do this on your own with a guide for half of that per person

(you could share a guide between the two of you)

and yes you could all of that after you get to ktm

no need to book in advance -

but that means you will have to spend few days planning for it in KTM

good luck

Mentioned in this post
Tribhuvan Airport
Tribhuvan Airport
Kathmandu, Nepal
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Everest base camp trek in February 2014

Hi There

it is Just starting Season for trekking The month March . Not that Busy in my opinion . April is more Busy season for Khumbu or Everest base camp Trek. Money is not that big different some time you can get Discount but service is different . most of Trekking company organize trip send their Guide and in the field you will discusing with Guide would not be happy Holiday. be carefull that way.

Bhim

Mentioned in this post
Khumbu
Khumbu
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,427 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Everest base camp trek in February 2014

Hi

Late February/early March is an excellent time to trek including EBC. Average sunshine hours are high in late February and through March (which with April are the highest). Temperatures are broadly similar to October and November and precipitation is lower than October. Humidity is low in February and early March too making the mountain views crystal clear. Conditions for trekking are therefore very good. I have trekked twice in February and had excellent weather, better than in the peak months of October and November. Last year in March (starting the 12 th, I think) the weather was very good for EBC and Gokyo.

It is usually cheaper to book a trek in Nepal. International outifits must use a Nepali company anyway and booking with a Nepali company is usually cheaper in country. It's easy to book a trek in KTM - there are plenty of agencies - and it does not take too long. You could walk into the first agency you see and be on the flight to Lukla the following day. There are betters way than this though and I suggest contacting a few recommended agencies and tell them what you want, start negotiations and draw up a short list to visit and decide in KTM. This means you will meet the agent and potential guides (important!) before deciding and avoids paying deposits.

My recommendation is for Himalayan Magic Adventure who organised a long trek including EBC last year. The service was excellent and the price fair (to us and the prters). Contact details and TAAN credentials here:

taan.org.np/member/himalayan-magic-adventure…

The main trekking season does not really start until March so there are fewer tours to join but it's still possible to find them. Is this how you want to trek? I ask because there other ways including hiring a guide and porters privately on a 'daily rate' so you have the flexibility to decide the itinerary, pace, where to eat and sleep rather than be on a rigid tour. It's also possible to trek EBC independently and make the arrangements without an agency - this is the cheapest way of course and it's not difficult...

Good luck.

scoodly

Edited: 19 November 2013, 15:16
Mentioned in this post
Tribhuvan Airport
Tribhuvan Airport
Kathmandu, Nepal
Lukla
Lukla
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
Hotel Himalayan Inn
Hotel Himalayan Inn
276 Reviews
Pokhara, Nepal
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,427 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Everest base camp trek in February 2014

PS Forgot to mention that if you did want to trek with other people an alternative to a tour is to find trekking buddies and form your own group. trekkingpartners.com and trekinfo.com are good websites for this.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Everest base camp trek in February 2014

I also think that March is an Excellent time of year for trekking EBC, I trekked there myself last March and had an Awesome Trek

You might find my Trek Report

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/bf701/

I have included some reasonably detailed trek notes, a daily video diary, links to downloadable trekking maps, a few hints on as well as reviewed the accommodation where we stayed

I have also used the agent mentioned by scoodly many times in the past and can confirm that he would be a good choice

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Edited: 19 November 2013, 16:51
manchester
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Everest base camp trek in February 2014

Thanks all so much for your advise, I have followed it and contacted magic adventures to see what they can offer me thanks jessica.

7. Re: Everest base camp trek in February 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 01:11
Edited: 03 February 2014, 01:11
8. Re: Everest base camp trek in February 2014

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 01:11
manchester
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Everest base camp trek in February 2014

Was this the magic adventures company Christina?

10. Re: Everest base camp trek in February 2014

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 11:49