We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Doubt

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Doubt

Hi friends,ill be traveling to Nepal in the next 2-3 days,Im carrying Indian currency with me,can u tell me if it can be converted into Nepal rupee easily at the Kathmandu airport and if yes then what is the conversion rate these days?...If not then should i carry USD with me?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,670 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Doubt

Hi

Indian rupees are easily exchanged in KTM. The rate is fixed at 1 INR to 1.6 NPR with some commission on that. The commission is likely to be higher in the airport so maybe change enough to pay fpr the taxi to central KTM (though the driver might accept INR in payment).

Be aware that INR 500 and 1000 notes are illegal in Nepal..

scoodly

Edited: 18 October 2013, 16:16
Mentioned in this post
Tribhuvan Airport
Tribhuvan Airport
Kathmandu, Nepal
2. Re: Currency Doubt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 October 2013, 16:17
Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,680 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Doubt

#1 has already nailed this thread and all I can add is that most places in Kathmandu will accept INR at 1 to 1.6, so you won’t have any problems either way

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Doubt

Don't bring Ic 500 n 1000 they are not accepted. Or if you are travelling by land then change them in boarder money exchange preferably India side if u have any . I am 100% sure they will change your Ic into nrs. If you travelling via air get ic changed to USD in India to be safe

Edited: 18 October 2013, 19:48
Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Doubt

Please advise what currency I should take for trip next week - just US$ or can I get nepalese rupees in uk?

Ty

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,670 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Doubt

Hi again HK_21

If you can avoid the issue of a large bundle of small denomination notes then there is no need to change to USD and incur two lots of conversion costs. Hopefully another Indian national will post from experience.

scoodly

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,680 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency Doubt

If you are coming from the UK then there is no need to exchange the bulk of your money into US $’s – Personally I would exchange enough for your visa on arrival and to buy snacks en-route, so maybe $100 – The rest I would take in GBP’s on a mixture of Cash and Traveller’s Cheques and use plastic for backup

More details on this link

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1dd571/

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,670 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency Doubt

Hi Ty

The rupees s not traded internationally so there are no official sources. Also it's illegal to take rupees in and out of Nepal.

The GBP is easily exchanged so no need incur two lots of conversions costs. Many prices are quoted in USD but this for ease of comparison, and rupees are used to pay for stuff. That said, if you are agetting a visa on arrival, it might be cheaper to pay in USD.

scoodly

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Currency Doubt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 09:48