We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insulated boots for Winter?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Insulated boots for Winter?

Hi all,

I have a really quick and simple question. I'm going to Nepal in winter, in December, and will be teahouse trekking around the Annapurna region and also up to Gokyo. Is it essential to have insulated (e.g. with Thinsulate) boots when walking around then?

Thanks very much.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insulated boots for Winter?

Hello Chris T,

Welcome to forum!

If you have one or can get one of these then it's better!

Good Luck!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insulated boots for Winter?

I have done three treks in Nepal mid winter (December, January and February), AC, EBC from Jiri (Including Gokyo) and Langtang and I used “Gortex” fabric boots with 2 pairs of socks and I was fine.

I would say that most trekkers wear boots, some wear trail runners and the locals flip-flops – So you should be fine using what you normally use for trekking

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insulated boots for Winter?

Hi

Most people, including my self in December and February, cope with non-insulated boots plus a couple of pair of socks. You won't be walking on glaciers for hours or in deep snow all day (probably) and the boots need to work at lower, warmer altitudes too. If insulated boots work for you though, no reason whay not.

Do you have a particular pair in mind?

scoodly

Edited: 27 July 2013, 19:43
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insulated boots for Winter?

Thanks very much for the replies everyone. I've been wearing a pair of non-insulated boots for 4 years now but I live in Australia so I've stuck to cooler boots. These are wearing out so I was going to get a new pair, and I haven't made up my mind yet but some boots I saw had 400g Thinsulate, which I'm guessing is going to be too warm? I've never walked with insulated boots before though so I don't know if I could get away with that insulation but only wearing two pairs of thin socks to keep the blisters away.

Scoodly your point about warmer altitudes is also a good point because I suppose I would probably bake my feet off walking here in Australia in insulated boots.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insulated boots for Winter?

Hi again,

I have normal North West Trekking boots that I am using for little more than a year. They are quite comfortable and waterproof. Generally, that is what I need on the treks. Even on the high altitude treks they are supporting me a lot and the biggest thing is that they were really really cheap. Normal trekking boots generally waterproof and comfortable ones is enough. You will not need high end boots to buy if you do not have one already. Normal hiking / trekking boots should be fine for you!

Good Luck!

Edited: 28 July 2013, 08:07
Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Insulated boots for Winter?

I have put up a post about my experiences of trekking in Nepal in mid winter: tripadvisor.co.uk/…48635811. This is based on 4 treks in Dec and Jan (2010 - 2012), two of which were the 3 high passes trek.

During the day, ie when you will be walking, it is almost always not cold even high up - the sun can be very strong, especially when there is no cloud, as there is most of the time in Dec and Jan. I just wear "standard" modern trekking boots in the winter - I don't think I have ever had cold feet during the day. Generally there is little snow in these months (these are the driest months) with the least cloud and so you will not be walking on snow very often. If you do say Cho La (a high pass with ice at the top) or cross a big glacier (say the Ngozumpa) you will be on ice, but again I was not cold (the sun gets bounced off the ice - so do have good trekking sun glasses). I would have thought that insulated boots would be too hot. It gets cold, or very cold at night, especially high up, but by then you will be in a lodge - I never wear boots in a lodge - socks and flip-flops.

If it does snow during the day, you'd probably be better off taking a rest day - I usually do this if the snow is heavy enough.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insulated boots for Winter?

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I think I will not get insulated boots and will maybe keep my current boots. One last issue I have with them though is because when I walk around Sydney I tend to hit creek or river crossings a lot, my boots have drainage holes in the sides, the lowest of which is a little over 1 inch off the ground. Do you think that would become an issue if we come across any snow while we are walking in Nepa? Thanks so much again for your advice.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insulated boots for Winter?

Hi Chris

It's possible you will come across snow and you could end up with wet, cold feet which might make for a bit of a miserable day. (Socks can be dried in the lodges). I have trekked in boots with mesh panels taking a get-wet-get dry approach at lower altitudes in the monsoon. Such boots would not be my choice at altitude in the winter.

scoodly

9. Re: Insulated boots for Winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 09:47