We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nepal in August 2013

New York City, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Nepal in August 2013

Hello travelers!

I am still fairly new to TripAdvisor but I have learned a lot just by reading threads in this forum. You're all awesome!

I am traveling to Nepal for the month of August. I know it's monsoon season, but this is the only time I can spare four weeks to travel. I'd like to do three things while in Nepal:

1. Trek (1-2 weeks) to a point where I can see Everest

2. Paraglide in Pokhara

3. Explore Kathmandu

Given that I will be traveling in the monsoon season, how reasonable would it be to do these three things? How bad is the rain this year? Any additional advice/suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nepal in August 2013

Hello EndGam3

Welcome to the Nepal forum and greetings from Nepal!

yeah sound nice plan you are travelling for a month but might not excellent trip because of the weather, never know.

You can do 2 weeks Everest base camp trek to see the Everest at staring. After everest base camp trip Explore kathmandu couple of day and drive or Fly to pokhara for some sightseeing tour around include paragliding, Zip flyer, ultra micro flight etc.

if you are interested you can do rafting and Jungle safari too.

Weather cant say exactly how it will be. still August is mid monsoon time here in Nepal. On the trek you might not see clear sky everyday but when you go higher up will be less rain and you might able to view high mountain peaks. For tour and paragliding will be not any problem. you have enough to travel around here in Nepal.

You will get very useful info by destination experts too. Liston them nicely, they are the best information provider in forum.

Good luck

Sali

Edited: 25 July 2013, 10:59
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nepal in August 2013

Hello EndGam3,

Welcome to board!

Nepal is a magical country so I am sure that you will enjoy your trip here.

As you mentioned August is the only time available for you, it will be difficult for having clear views of the skies and the peaks but you can give a try. Probably a trek to Everest Base Camp would be worthy and hopefully you will get at least some clear views to see Everest. Spending several days in the Himalaya if you get at least a day [or few hours] with clear mountain views then your trek will become worthy. Anyway here is a suggestion for you for the trek; Everest Base Camp:

Day 01: Fly to Lukla, trek to Monjo or Jorsalle

Day 02: Trek to Namche Bazaar, it's a short day walk

Day 03: Rest and acclimatization day in Namche Bazaar, there are different possible hikes available like to Khumjung, Khunde, Thame, Everest View Hotel etc.

Day 04: Trek to Tengboche or Deboche

Day 05: Trek to Dingboche

Day 06: Rest and acclimatization day in Dingboche, you can hike to Dingboche RI or Chukung RI if interested

Day 07: Trek to Lobuche [if you feel uneasy or difficult then there is a place called Dughla where you can spend a night]

Day 08: Trek to Gorakshep [can hike to Everest Base Camp but stay resting if tired]

Day 09: Hike to Everest Base Camp, back to Gorakshep

Day 10: Hike to Kalapatthar [if weather is clear] then back to Gorakshep, get your lunch and trek back to Pheriche or Pangboche

Day 11: Trek to Namche Bazaar [if you are interested then you can hike to Amadablam Base Camp adding one more day from Pangboche]

Day 12: Trek to Phakding [can trek to Lukla with little longer walk]

Day 13: Trek to Lukla, final nights in Himalayas

Day 14: Fly to Kathmandu and do onward activites

The trek is doable without a guide but a guide will be helpful too. A porter won't be necessary if you are quite fit but if you are interested then you can hire a porter too. The guide will charge about US$ 25 - 35 per day and a porter will charge about US$ 15 per day. Both wages includes guide and porter fees. A guide won't be available in Lukla so you need to take from Kathmandu paying his flights, a porter will be available in Lukla too. If you use a porter from agency they will use the porter from Lukla and also will have the insurance for them. If you directly take one form Lukla then they might not have insurances.

Currently you will need two permits, one is National Park Permit which costs about US$ 35 / per permit and Trekkers Information Management System [TIMS] Permit will cost about US$ 20 / per permit. If you use an agency then the agency will buy TIMS for you, it costs US$ 10 for the agency.

Everest Map for your reference: …umbra.cz/img/map/Khumbu_Sagarmatha_National…

Paragliding is easily doable from Pokhara. There are numerous paragliding companies, you can enter their office and ask the prices. There offices are on the main streets of Lakeside.

There are many things to do in Kathmandu too. Here are the list of the places that might be interesting for you:

Kathmandu Durbar Square

Swyambhunath Stupa

Bouddhanath Stupa

Pashupatinath Temple

Patan Durbar Square

Bhaktapur Durbar Square

Kopan Monastery

White Monastery

Kirtipur, Farping, Dakshinkali

May be a night in Nagarkot

--Places that might be interesting in Pokhara

World Peace Stupa

Sunrise or Sunset view from Sarangkot [if weather is clear]

Devi's Falls

Seti River Gorge

International Mountain Museum

Tibetan Refugee Camp

Matepani Monastery

Boating in Fewa Lake

Gupteshowr Cave

Bindawasini Temple

.....etc

Good Luck!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nepal in August 2013

You already have some info from our Nepali residents and I only have a few snippets to add.

As you already know, August is in the middle of the monsoon season, so not the ideal time to visit and although trekking EBC will be possible, my own “advice” would be to do a trek like the Annapurna Circuit as the best section of this is in the Himalayan Rain Shadow and this are gets very little rain even in the middle of the monsoon as it is to the north of the main Himalayan chain and 90% of the rain falls on the southern slopes (Neither EBC, Langtang or ABC treks are in the Himalayan Rain Shadow) Places like Tilicho Lake (Possible side extension of AC from Manang) are Best visited at this time of year – Google Images of Tilicho Lake.

Ok you will get a bit wet on your first few days trekking but once above Pasang the weather will improve, then you have three choices on the Kali Gandaki side from Jomsom, - Fly, Jeep or get wet again and trek.

Alternatively if your budget is bigger then Upper Mustang is another Excellent choice for this time of year.

Apart from both of the above treks being in The Rain Shadow, you aren’t reliant on flights so therefore have less chances of being stuck at Lukla awaiting the weather to clear

Other than that, if August is the only time you have, then go for it

Good Luck

Rob

Kathmandu,Nepal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nepal in August 2013

Hi EndGam3,

Little different view here for a week trek to see world highest peak, Everest can be seen from Everest view hotel above Namche bazar which mentioned already by post 2nd [Rhythm D] according itinerary on 3rd day. You can add one more day up to Tyangboche then return back to Lukla in next two days then take a flight to kathmandu next day. It takes 7 days {Kathmandu to Tyangboche to Kathmandu}. If weather is not permitted to see Mount Everest then wait few more days... if you are physically fit enough then trek up to Everest base camp. off course, there is another option to see mount Everest by mountain flight too which takes about an hour....

Good luck,

Guide

5. Re: Nepal in August 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 10:51