We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car from kathmandu to jiri

New York City, New...
5 posts
car from kathmandu to jiri

my husband and I are interested in hiring a car to take us to the trailhead at jiri to begin our trek to lukla (and then on to gokyo). how much can we expect this to cost? and can it be booked just a day ahead?

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,229 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: car from kathmandu to jiri

I don't know the current cost - best guess $150, others will have better information. It is possible to hire a car for the following day but are likely to pay a higher price than making arrangements in advance. The agents or drivers might sense you are on a tight schedule. I suggest starting negotiations with a few travel agents by email.

Having said that, a long local bus journey does give some insight into Nepali life. Last spring the bus was 600 rupees.

Enjoy the trek.

scoodly

France
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: car from kathmandu to jiri

It will be about US$ 150 - US$ 200 total. And I also do not know the exact amount but I can find out if you want. I have a friend in Kathmandu who is in travel business and can ask him the fixed rate. It's a long journey to Jiri from Kathmandu so I think your idea of booking a car is great.

It can be booked easily one day ahead of departure however I would say it's better if you book in Advance. It won't make your in hurry when you are in Nepal.

Enjoy!

kathmandu
Level Contributor
202 posts
3. Re: car from kathmandu to jiri

Hello z_westie

Its about about 105to 130 $ to hire a car from Kathmandu to jiri. You can surely book them just day ahead no problems with that. As there are many shops in Kathmandu from where you can hire the car.

Have a safe trip.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
158 posts
4. Re: car from kathmandu to jiri

Yes you can book a car to Jiri from Kathmandu a day a head. It cost you 10350Npr. if you hire from agency it would cost you little bit more than this but should not be much.

Good Luck

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: car from kathmandu to jiri

Lots of Excellent info already posted

Booking in advance is rarely, if ever a good idea because you pay more and don’t know how good the vehicle or driver is until you get there, then you will probably have tied yourself in by paying a deposit and be stuck with what you have booked !!

As you can see by the replies already posed, there are a variety of prices – Which type of vehicle you choose will also have a bearing on this !!

So – I would “Advise” you to wait until you arrive in Nepal, ask your hotel for a price, then compare this with a few agents and make your decision when you are there

As scoodly says – The bus is also an option, especially with the relatively new “Express” Bus which at around $10 offers good value with some degree of comfort

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

New York City, New...
5 posts
6. Re: car from kathmandu to jiri

thanks so much everyone!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: car from kathmandu to jiri

Pleased to be of help – Pop up a post and let us all know how you get on and what price you end up paying as I am sure the info will be of great help for future travellers to Nepal

Thanks and Best Regards

Rob

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: car from kathmandu to jiri

Hi

When are you going, we are looking doing a similar thing in October 2013 and may be able to share the costs, although we want to drive to Bhandar to start our trek?

Paul

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
227 posts
9. Re: car from kathmandu to jiri

hi

Good luck, try is the best.

cheers

New York City, New...
5 posts
10. Re: car from kathmandu to jiri

Hi Paul, thank for the offer, but we went in March. We were able to book the car a day ahead through our hotel, our driver was great, and it cost about $130 for the 8 hour drive. Get ready for an unforgettable adventure! trip pics are up under zoe_w on instagram