We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for trekking Arun Valley

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for trekking Arun Valley

Choose your trek mate(s) with great care – On this trek I out a small group of 4 trekkers together & alas I was unable to get along with one of them and this did detract somewhat from the enjoyment of my trek.

We might well have invented a whole new job description for this trek – This being Cook/Guide. I was fortunate enough to have trekked with Tej (our Cook / Guide) when I trekked Upper Mustang 4 years ago and Tej was our cook – besides being a good cook he also seemed more knowledgeable about Upper Mustang than our guide !! So when I was organising the trek I asked Nirmal if Tej had also trekked the Arun Valley Trek & he said yes – So I then suggested that if he was willing to carry about 12kg of supplementary food would he like the position, to which he said Yes. This turned out to be an excellent idea as the food available locally was very simple and without Tej our diet would have been a bit mundane.

Also Tej kept an eye on things in the kitchen when the lodge staff were cooking our meals, all I can say is that I trekked for 22 days in total and never once had any stomach / bowel problems which as regular visors to Nepal will realise is very rare indeed !!

Our two porter/guides were also really Superb, their names are Dipendra and Shambhu, so if you are looking for Excellent Porter/Guides with a good knowledge of the Arun Valley / EBC trek and who both speak really good English then ask for them by name !!!!!

As my timescale wasn’t tight, the two day overland trip to Tumlingtar worked out very well and I can also recommend this to others – But for those on a tight timeframe there is always the option of flying

Agents to organise this trek – For me this was simple as I have used the same chap since 1994 & he has always looked after me well, this being my 9th visit, I again used Nirmal and am again very happy with how everything went. Nirmal obtained our trekking permits, organised our road and air transport, our trekking staff & regularly telephoned me to check on our progress – If you want his contact details then please feel free to email / PM me

Also if anyone has further questions about the Arun Valley trek the same applies

Best Regards

Rob

Read more: …virtualtourist.com/m/…ixzz1tKf4votW

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for trekking Arun Valley

Thanks for sharing your experience...it is great to get genuine and reliable advise.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for trekking Arun Valley

Thanks for your email and kind words Lisbeth.

This is actually the second time I have attempted to post this thread – The last one mysteriously disappeared so lets hope that this one stays put ;-)

I have also included a link to my VT blog where there are some additional photos for those that are interested.

Thanks again and Best Regards

Rob

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for trekking Arun Valley

Thank you for the tips! Really found it great! I am sure that

4. Re: Tips for trekking Arun Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 07:45