We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

500 & 100 Indian Rupees notes and carrying into Nepal

Holmfirth, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
500 & 100 Indian Rupees notes and carrying into Nepal

I've just read on the FCO (english foreign office website)

General - Indian currency in Nepal

The Government of Nepal has banned the use, import or export of 1,000 Indian rupee and 500 Indian rupee notes. British nationals should ensure that they do not enter or leave Nepal with either 1,000 or 500 Indian rupee notes. The Revenue Investigation Department will confiscate any notes and also impose a fine of the amount seized, payable in local currency. Lower denomination notes from India are accepted in Nepal.

in this case if i have money left over, crossing a land border into nepal will i be able to exchange money to get rid of such notes

Edited: 21 July 2011, 01:39
1. Re: 500 & 100 Indian Rupees notes and carrying into Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 July 2011, 10:48
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
323 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 500 & 100 Indian Rupees notes and carrying into Nepal

I am sorry to inform you that the information provided by RajaPokhara is toally wrong.

Visitors are strictly prohibited to carry 500 & 1000 bills in Nepal as it is against the law.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,691 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 500 & 100 Indian Rupees notes and carrying into Nepal

Yes at almost all border crossings there are exchanges. Not 100% certain whether they can change INR directly into Nepalese rupee, with bad luck they might only give Western currency like USD for it.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
209 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 500 & 100 Indian Rupees notes and carrying into Nepal

Try to change or bring other currency. 500 and 1000 INR is prohibited.

Holmfirth, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 500 & 100 Indian Rupees notes and carrying into Nepal

My problem is I am in India for 9 days no idea how much cash I will need and will be drawing money out .. Do cash machines ATMs in India dispense all denomination of notes or just 500 1000

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
323 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 500 & 100 Indian Rupees notes and carrying into Nepal

Why do you require to withdraw all required money in India, plenty of ATMs in Kathmandu!!!

Holmfirth, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 500 & 100 Indian Rupees notes and carrying into Nepal

"Why do you require to withdraw all required money in India, plenty of ATMs in Kathmandu!!!"

I never said that :0) i will be drawing currency out in nepal,

I'm talking about excess indian rupee..

If i draw out £200 and don't spend all of it I'll likely have 500 / 1000 notes

I'm doing a trip from delhi / kathmandu 15 days

has anyone done this trip recently how much money did you spend, on food drinks, souvenirs, donations etc

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
323 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 500 & 100 Indian Rupees notes and carrying into Nepal

A very good solution is to convert the spare Indian rupees into dollars before entering Nepal. That way you don't have to think and calculate the money that you are willing to withdraw/spent!

Edited: 22 July 2011, 15:04
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 500 & 100 Indian Rupees notes and carrying into Nepal

ATMs in India dispense Rs 500 and Rs 100 notes.

Nepal does not accept Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes. I had to take bundles of Rs 100 notes to Nepal when I did the EBC trek in Oct 2010. Lots of paper :-)

cheers,

- manish

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 500 & 100 Indian Rupees notes and carrying into Nepal

Normally the Cash Machines in India gives you 500&100 & The 100 Bills Has No Problems, if you planing for nine days stay you would approx Need around 20000 INR , so if you have them spare left.... on your way to Nepal Just Exchange is on the Borders every borders has that facilities . this is as simple as this so No Need to be worried mate .

Cheers

Hotel Glacier Pokhara

Edited: 23 July 2011, 08:21