We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I use Indian rupees in Nepal?

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Can I use Indian rupees in Nepal?

We've just returned from India and have a fair amount of Indian rupees left over. We are doing a trek in the Everest region later this year and I wondered if it would be possible to use Indian rupees to pay for meals/expenses at teahouses along the way, or in Kathmandu at the start of our trip .. or would this simply complicate things and should I stick to Nepalese rupees?

Sue

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I use Indian rupees in Nepal?

Rs 500 and Rs 1000 are considered as illegal to carry in Nepal for other than Indian Nationals. It is because there are cased of duplicate notes of 500 and 1000 a lot.

So, if you have 100 rupee notes then you can easily use them. But 500 and 1000 notes are a bit hard to exchange and use it.

Reading this topic is worth it: www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Edited: 12 March 2011, 19:53
St Austell
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I use Indian rupees in Nepal?

Really helpful advice guideupendra ... many thanks.

I didn't realise it was illegal to take larger notes to Nepal, but it was actually the Rs100's I am most keen to take, as I have a large number of these. I assumed that anything larger would be too difficult for the locals to want to handle anyway.

Nice to know I can use the smaller notes at any rate... and from what you are saying, the Nepalese do not mind having them? Are prices normally given in both currencies, or does it mean both sides using a conversion chart every time we want to pay for anything?

Sue

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I use Indian rupees in Nepal?

Normally Rs 50 and Rs 100 Indian rupee notes are easily acceptable in Nepal. Most of the people will accept them without any hesitations.

Yes! Both sides!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,988 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I use Indian rupees in Nepal?

Hey, look who is THERE ;-)

IN Rs 500/1000 notes cannot be exchanged widely indeed, but we found 2 places Pokhara lakeside and a few in Thamel-Kathmandu accepting them. At quite a decent rate too. So pays off to search...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I use Indian rupees in Nepal?

Hello Erik :-)

Fancy seeing you here!

Thanks to both of you for the good advice. It certainly looks as if we will be able to use those smaller notes anyway and if we're not lucky with the larger ones, we will use them when we return to India. hopefully in the not too distant future either.

All the best to you both

Sue

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I use Indian rupees in Nepal?

Mention Not!

If you need some information then do not hesitate to post in the forum! I will try to give some tips!

;) I guess you are expert for Srilanka, but not sure how much you are experienced about Nepal!

I dropped you a PM!

Edited: 14 March 2011, 07:18
Kathmandu, Nepal
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I use Indian rupees in Nepal?

Indeed you can use the Indian Notes in Nepal ... But consider not bringing big notes Like INR 500 or INR 1000 ... its hard to get change those notes in Usual places.

Its always better to exchange them in Kathmandu before starting your trip to Everest Region. If you are in Nepal Why not Use Nepali currency,.

Happy Traveling

8. Re: Can I use Indian rupees in Nepal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 05:45