We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unneccessary tourist hassles at Kathmandu airport

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Unneccessary tourist hassles at Kathmandu airport

I wondered if there had been any improvements in view of the 2011

"Visit Nepal Year" to come :

Tourists leaving from the Kathmandu International airport are routinely hassled by checking the content of all their suitcases very meticulously. This can take up to 30 minutes extra time. Beware that almost any visitor buying any souvenirs in the millions of handicraft shops of Kathmandu will have to provide a receipt for every article they carry. The best would be to encourage all your friends NOT to buy ANYTHING to carry home fr Kathmandu !

This procedure is absolutely NOT related to security checks but mainly to curiosity by airport employees. There are practically no antiques left to buy in Nepal ( they have already long ago been

exported by local dealers ) and the airport staff has not the slightest

idea of what is new and old anyway, so it couldnt be the reason for

this unpleasant and time consuming treatment. Does the airport

authority want to discourage visitors to return to Nepal or to buy anything or do they fear that any illegal local weapons may be leaving

the country ?

By the way the ridiculous aspect of this is that Nobody will check your suitcase as you enter the country !!!

Namaste Nepal !

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unneccessary tourist hassles at Kathmandu airport

We have recently passed through KTM airport 4 times in 3 weeks and found that it's mostly a matter of being prepared and going with the flow.

Inward - if possible, get your Visa before you go : and get a Landing card on the plane (some dont automatically provide) and if not and you're in a group, 1 in the queue and the others get Cards and fill in

Outward - again get Embarkation cards ( we picked up a handful of landing and embarkation for future use) and, at security just accept that a) you need to take off all that they say - shoes, belts, watches etc. Those people that think they don't need to do as asked merely delay things for others.

Women have separate line : and, yes, your handbaggage will be searched even though it's been through the X-ray. They are very worried about losing antique items and of being accused of being the 'weakest link' in the chain of international security.

Getting annoyed does not use - and just remember how difficult it is for 'foreigners' to get into UK, or US - why shouldn't it be just as difficult for us entering Nepal ?!

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unneccessary tourist hassles at Kathmandu airport

re percynorthants reply :

Totaly agreed to prepare yourself well for entering and leaving Kathmandu airport. In fact I have done this several times and I think everything is clearly indicated as well the airport staff very kind . But of course what we are talking about here is an advise to lift Kathamandu airport to international Asian standart regulations and allowing a better flow in and out of the country as it is by now in most Asian airports!. Any security precautions is certainly welcome to most travellers but here we are talking about uneccesary precautions to check all leaving luggage for any handicraft content of any kind most of it probably new or newly antiqued ( again : the real authentic "antiques" have long left this country)! Airport staff have absolutely no idea about whats old and

new and also no idea about what is sold in any of the 1 million handicraft shops of Nepal. I am not an ever complaining single victim, love Nepal and its people and that is why I take the time to propose an improvement.

Getting annoyed does indeed not "use" but expressing my opinion could be

"useful" to prepare Nepal for next years Visit Nepal Year!

Also : I am NOT complaining about entering but about leaving Nepal.

But maybe for now the best advise stays. : DO NOT BUY ANYTHING to

bring back in any of your luggage.

With kind regards and best intentions.

3. Re: Unneccessary tourist hassles at Kathmandu airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 October 2010, 03:05
Christchurch
Level Contributor
21 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unneccessary tourist hassles at Kathmandu airport

Its really easy to get a visa coming in to Nepal, just make sure you have a photo with you. If you don't you can get one there and then, but they prefer you to pay for it with rupees, but when our friend went to get rupees, they had run out at the exchange desk! No worries, because then they accepted $US. Another example of going with the flow

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unneccessary tourist hassles at Kathmandu airport

yes i totally agree with above post, we must control for airport brokers and unauthorized person for company, because tourist are felling bad experience and unfair competition, peoples are parking area like a young man are demanding Tips even without working any work. i hardly request all of Nepal visitor beware with airport broker and unknowns person if They force you to take service or they lie you ask imminently with his identity card or take police service

please beware airport broker

UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Unneccessary tourist hassles at Kathmandu airport

Hi,

Agree with the main post. Just recently returned after my first visit to Nepal. Travelled through Asia extensively so feel experienced enough to answer.

The security searches were rediculous. Extensive searches of the suitcase but hand luggage not checked. I saw one person searched but the rucksack on the back not touched!

Very disapointed with my experience. The airport arrrival would put most newcomers off.

7. Re: Unneccessary tourist hassles at Kathmandu airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2011, 09:46