We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nepal to Tibet

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
614 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Nepal to Tibet

How can I get from Katmandu, Nepal to Tibet? How long do the various options take and what are the approximate costs? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Level Contributor
239 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nepal to Tibet

Hello,

There is only one option to arrange your trip through a register Travel agent in Kathmandu. You can not get Tibet permission on your own or individually, you must proceed as a group.

There are many trips on offer from a short cultural tour of Lhasa from 4- 5 days to several weeks or month long. The most popular from Kathmandu are, Tibet Overland tour (8days), Tibet overland with EBC (10days) & Kailash- Mansarovar trip (15 to several days). Cost depends on the duration of trips, standard of service, flight or land transportation etc.

Hope this information would useful to you,

Happy holidays.....!

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
614 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nepal to Tibet

I think I would like the shortest option you mention which we be a 4 day trip to Llasa. Can you tell me the details of overland or flying and a general idea of the cost of such a group. Thanks!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
560 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nepal to Tibet

So they handle all the documentation for you? But how does this reconcile with all the tales I have heard of Tibet being off limits at times to foreigners completely and needing special permission just to visit? Does this mean that you are shephered around by the Chinese when you get there if you go on such a trip through a Nepal operator?

Mentioned in this post
MaineUSA
Level Contributor
853 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nepal to Tibet

Our October 2006 trip involved flying to Lhasa from Kathmandu and returning overland back to Kathmandu. Our Nepal agent Sahadev Panday from Yeti Travel worked with a Tibetian owned agency in Lhasa. They arranged the flight and the Tibet travel permit and the trip arrangements. We arrived in Kathmandu on a Sunday, the permits were picked up on a Monday and we flew to Lhasa on a Tuesday. Our guide and driver were Tibetian. We were in Lhasa for 2 1/2 days and were five days on the road back to Kathmandu. The guide and driver were great as was the trip irself.

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
614 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nepal to Tibet

Can you give me an idea of the price you paid for this? Did you arrange this before arriving in Katmandu?

Thanks!

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
853 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nepal to Tibet

This was all arranged prior to to our arrival in Kathmandu. I've lost the cost information. This is a fairly standard trip so if you go on some of the Kathmandu agency websites you should get some idea. It's not cheap. Again, we used Yeti Agency in Kathmandu and the tibetian agency was C.T.C.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
614 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nepal to Tibet

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll check them out.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nepal to Tibet

Yes, you have two options to get Tibet via Nepal one is flight from Katmandu to Lhasa or drive out from Katmandu to Zhangmu by private Car, van or landcruser, you have different option it is up to you for Tibet Tour less then 4 days maximum 10 days for tour. cost depends up your budget may be around $60 per day

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
9. Re: Nepal to Tibet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2010, 09:45