We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek

Utah
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Just back from Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek

We just got back yesterday from trekking and hanging out in Nepal for 16 days. I had my 5 kids with us, and we all had a wonderful time, even though it was monsoon time. If anyone is interested to ask any questions, or wants suggestions, etc, I'd be happy to answer. We had an amazing experience, even though it was monoon time!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
355 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Just back from Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek

Hi there!

great to hear that you had a good time! We are going to Nepal in march next year and are also planning to do the poon hill trekking. Which company did you use and how much did you spend for the trekking? Hope you can help me out?

Oh, and how was the scenery? the mountains? the villages?

Did you also go to Chitwan? We have 15 days and hope to do the trekking, do Chitwan and of course Kathmandu and the sights there. How did you manage in such a short period of time?

Hope to hear from you!

thanks!

Marlies

Utah
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Just back from Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek

We had an awesome experience. Right now it's the monsoon, so it was wet, but we didn't even care. You're going in March, so it will be beautiful. our guide said the rhododendrom forest is in full bloom at that time, so I will be envious of your trip too!!! Our guide was great. His company is at himalayatrek.com. His name is Dil Subedi and his email is: dbsubedi@mail.com.np He is the owner as well as the guide. he took care of everything for us and was very very reasonable. Many trek companies just get guys off the street, or who have no trek experience, to lead their expeditions. We ran into a couple european and japanese groups who'd hooked up with bad guides who didn't even know where they were going. They never got them to Poon Hill!!! The trekkers kept asking MY guide about what to do!! I felt bad for them. Anyway, we didn't do Chitwan, because right now it's cobra season, and marshy with all the rain. We had one trek company that said theyd' take us, but Dil said he wouldn't recommend it because of the cobra season right now. Since I had 5 kids with me, I trusted him. He seemed that he was more concerned about the safety of my kids than he was concerned about making a buck. Let me know what else I can help you with. Dil can give you a whole itinerary, or I can suggest things.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
355 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Just back from Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek

thanks for your reply! it was very helpful! I'll let you know when I have any more questions!

Thanks so much!

Illinois
Level Contributor
113 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Just back from Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek

My husband and I will spend 4 weeks in Nepal in November. We are both 60 and plan to do some easy trekking and seeing as much as possible. What can you recommend? What were the highlights of your trip? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Illinois
Level Contributor
113 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Just back from Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek

My husband and I will be spending a month in Nepal in November. We are both 60 years old and plan to do a couple of easy treks. What were the highlights of your trip? What can you recommend? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Utah
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Just back from Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek

Well, it will be beautiful in November!! We only did the Poon Hill Trek. That's a 5-day trek, altho we took 6 days because my ten year old needed a little break after the second day. That was the hardest day. Each day was about 5-6 hours of trekking. You would probably go faster if you didn't have a 10 year old with you! hahaha. We loved it. I wouldn't say that the trek was a killer cardiovascularly, but you should definitely start working on your walking lunges and your squats; it was the legs that got the work out. Plus, if you have any knee issues, bring a knee brace for the downhill part. I imagine there are shorter treks closer to kathmandu, but 5-6 days was perfect for us with the kids. They agreed that that was the perfect amount of time. I would like to do a longer one next time (without them! hahaha). If you want any more specifics you can send me a private message, or ask here.

Utah
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Just back from Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek

Oh - sorry, I forgot to say the highlights. I really loved the beautiful scenery. It's breath-taking. I LOVED the little villages

Just hanging out in the villages and seeing how the people lived. In one village we helped villagers when the roof caved in on one of their houses, shared a roasted corn on the cob with a kind lady, and chatted with school kids. In other villages we were mostly alone, or just watched people watched. I loved it. Can't say enough about how much we loved it!

Illinois
Level Contributor
113 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Just back from Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek

Thanks so much for your help. I'm excited about our upcoming trip.

Utah
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Just back from Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek

I sent you a private message of things that we brought that made our trip more comfortable, etc. Have a great time!

australia
2 posts
10. Re: Just back from Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek

I am travelling to nepal end March 2009 and also very interested in the poonhill trek ghorepani tadapani ghandrung,back to pokhard, I m a first timer so any tips please and also would it be a good idea to travel straight to royal chitwan after a few days in pokhara making a round trip back to katmandu. looking forward to the rhododendrons etc.