We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

upper mustang motorcyle trip

Kolkata, India
6 posts
upper mustang motorcyle trip

is it possible to go to MUKTINATH or LO MANTHANG in december? riding motorcycle.

i am from india and how many permits are there i have to take?

6 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,251 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: upper mustang motorcyle trip

Hi AMIT

I have not ridden a motorbike on those trails but those who have will answer soon. My understanding of the permits and costs is:

Lower Mustang: ACAP ticket which is 300 NPR for Indian nationals, I think, and a TIMS Card which costs 600 NPR for Indians when not hiring staff (a guide or porter). TIMS is for trekkers but seems to be applied to all by the authorities regardless of the activity. Both of these are cheaper for Indian nationals but wait...

Upper Mustang: as above to pass through Lower Mustang plus a 'restricted area permit' which costs $500 per person and to obtain you also need to be in a group of two or more and hire a guide. No redeuction for Indian nationals.

Good luck.

scoodly

Level Contributor
55 posts
2. Re: upper mustang motorcyle trip

You can bike to muktinath (lower mustang), Lo or even to Tibetan border.

But december can be tricky. Most of the people in the area would be leaving in winter for warmer place and the roads would not be safe for motorbike.

Kolkata, India
6 posts
3. Re: upper mustang motorcyle trip

Thank you Scoodly and Saroj B for your kind information...

Edited: 15 November 2018, 14:56
Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
4. Re: upper mustang motorcyle trip

I have ridden a motorbike into Lower Mustang many times, just three weeks ago. And to Upper Mustang twice. Winter is not a good time to go. The roads will be very muddy in spots.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
106 reviews
5. Re: upper mustang motorcyle trip

muddy in winter?

Kathmandu, Nepal
9 posts
6. Re: upper mustang motorcyle trip

Namaste,

Possibly no. Its very cold and chances of getting snow! So better go till mid of dec.

For Lower mustang, you have to take ACAP and Tims card ( Roughly 2000-3000rs per person)

and for Upper Mustang, you have to take special permit cost 500USD per person.

Its better to go on March-April-May-June-Sep- Oct - Nov

Good luck!

Reply to: upper mustang motorcyle trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted