We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kathmandu to Pokhara on bike ?

Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Kathmandu to Pokhara on bike ?

Hello all

Anyone have(foreigner) experience of bike ride from Kathmandu to Pokhara and then to Jomsom/Muktinath ?

One of my German friend is planning to do a bike ride from Kathmandu to Pokhara then Jomsom/Muktinath so how difficult it will be for him ?

He said he was used to of right hand drive but it's left here

TIA

3 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,608 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Kathmandu to Pokhara on bike ?

Maybe your foreign friend (you seem to have quite a few of these - how is your career in the tourism sector coming along?) could post on here himself.

scoodly

Surrey.
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
2. Re: Kathmandu to Pokhara on bike ?

Obviously Nepali roads are pretty scary, especially all the trucks - I would not fancy riding (I assume you cycling, not motorcycling) out of Ktm on the main road to Pokhara. Also the dust and pollution.

In Jan 2016 I saw a few western cyclists with a cycling guide on AC, in the area Kalopani to about Tatopani - they seemed to be fine, and enjoying it - the excellent weather and quitter roads will have helped.

Cambridge, England...
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Kathmandu to Pokhara on bike ?

Done that a few times.. although not the Jomson bit.

The Privthi highway is now very busy with heavy traffic. The immediate decent from the Kathmandu is tricky. The road is broken up and that combined with the excessive traffic and pollution is not pleasant and potentially dangerous.

However it is entirely do-able. Just maybe not the pleasant mountain ride that many might anticipate. I have cycled out of Pokhara (2017) to follow the route of the anticipated Mid Hills highway through Baglung. That is ok with the usual smoky heavy traffic. Cannot vouch for the ride up to Jomson but looks fine having trekked down that valley. Just a bit dusty with typical local traffic.

Reply to: Kathmandu to Pokhara on bike ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted