We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best scuba diving sites in India?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best scuba diving sites in India?

Can anyone recommend some good dive sites in India? This would also be in August, so not sure if weather would be an issue.

Thanks as always to anyone who replies!

21 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,490 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best scuba diving sites in India?

Hi,

Having done loads of scuba in my past, when I was in Goa in February, I noticed that there were a lot of dive shops, but I didn't do any diving this time around. I've read that diving in Goa is not the best place in India due to limited underwater visibility. Two rivers (the Mandovi and Zuari) drop their silt laden water into the sea so, on a good day, the visibility may be about 10 metres otherwise but the sea life is supposed to really quite amazing. I loved Goa though....great place to visit!

Other than Goa, a quick search shows that the two other main places are:

-Andaman and Nicobar - a group of volcanic islands in the Bay of Bengal.

-Lakshadweep group of islands lying 250 miles off the SW coast of India in the Arabian Sea with clear blue lagoons of coral atolls

Hope that helps, Jo

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best scuba diving sites in India?

Thanks for the effort, but I did further research after this post and found out August there really aren't any dive sites because monsoon season, oh well.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,490 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best scuba diving sites in India?

Oops, missed that detail my first read.....I did my first trip to India in August, but stayed in the north/central areas and into Nepal and monsoon didn't really affect my trip....but further south it certainly would be a factor....

Jo

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best scuba diving sites in India?

you can also try out in pondicherry in the southern part of india. templeadventures :)

Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best scuba diving sites in India?

You can dive at Netrani in Karnataka, just off Murudeshwar and at Tarkarli on the Konkani Coast. Most other places around mainland India are a scam when it comes to diving.

Lakshadweep comes next. Clear waters.

Visit the Andamans if you want the ultimate experience.

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best scuba diving sites in India?

hi Roycin

Kindly mention the scam scuba diving which you intend to mention. That would be useful for the travelers than mentioning "most other places around mainland India are scam"

It will again give a wrong perception to the travelers

Pondicherry, India
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best scuba diving sites in India?

Indeed, there are about 30 reputable dive centres around India, in many different locations now. Goa, Anadmans, Netrani, Lakshadweep, Pondicherry, Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune, Gujarat, Kochi to name a few. Almost all are associated with international certification agencies, have great reputations, and teach people everyday how to delve into the other 70% of the world we live in.

Roycin - What specifically do you mean about scam diving centres? Why throw around blanket, all encompassing statements about industries and people you dont know or understand?

voyageurdeInde - When did you dive Pondy? How was it?

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best scuba diving sites in India?

hi rob

just search in the the search box here as templeadventures

or their site templeadventures.com

its a good experience :)

Storm Lake, Iowa
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Best scuba diving sites in India?

Yeah, Nepal is good place to be, what about Ladakh ? nice places also

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best scuba diving sites in India?

LAdakh is a nice place too.

Reply to: Best scuba diving sites in India?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted