We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The problem with tiger tourism !

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
38 helpful votes
The problem with tiger tourism !

There is no problem at all...

Tigers actually benefit from tourism, and pay litle, or no attention to tourists in jeeps

I said "no problem at all.... That is...

Other than this problem, which is common to all tiger parks.

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/news/tigers-move-out-of-corbett-park-boundary/245263?h_also_see

Sorry about the ad

Too many people, are living too close to tigers.

Get the people, who are living where they should'nt be, and the hotels, which are built, again, where they should'nt be, further away from the tigers.

The tigers will do the rest.

Edited: 11 years ago
Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
180 reviews
139 helpful votes
1. Re: The problem with tiger tourism !

Villagers, many of whom are tribals, have been living on the fringe of the forest have had a healthy relationship with the forest, taking only what they need, and following sustainable practices including maintaining sacred groves, since time immemorial.

The forests have been ravaged by outsiders to the area, who have felled timber and taken to hunting as a sport, destroying the balance indiscriminately.

The original natives and the animals have had their areas shrunk.

Most of the buildings in the core area are of the government. No real attempt at social forestry or commercial forestry has been implemented.

Hotels have come up in zones identified by the government and investors have pumped in money to build these structures.

The co-ordination between the tourism department and the forest department has been weak, resulting in a mis- match between carrying capacity and the total beds.

The visitor management programme has room for a lot of improvement.

So if the tribals /villagers need to be rehabilitated, and the resorts need to be moved out of their current locations, the process and costs need to be spelled out.

Media coverage is usually skewed. The reality is that millions of rupees have been sunk in to protect the tiger without adequate results. Poaching has increased since the Chinese economy took off, and is usually master minded by city dwellers and the punishment is totally inadequate.Known offenders have been active.

So if a longer term vision is not spelled out and implemented,there is not much hope.

This will need to include using degraded forests to improve green cover, evolving livelihood options for the tribals/villagers which does not force them to abandon their patterns of living, focusing on tourism which is based on jungle experiences including birding and fishing, and having stricter criteria for impact assessment of projects which encroach on forest land, including mining , power projects, roads,railways and industry.

It may startle you to know that the emergence of alternate medicine and the increased sale of Chinese remedies for potency, even in UK ,is encouraging poaching indirectly. Fortunately these links have been documented and maybe laws will be changed in time

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
38 helpful votes
2. Re: The problem with tiger tourism !

Hi Prem.

It does'nt surprise me in the least about the chinese medicines. I would like to shake these people, or bounce them on their heads, to make them realise it is pure stupidity. But poaching accounts for only a small number of tigers disappearing. I would like to see poaching stopped, though, thats never going to happen.

The fact that the tigers in Corbett are doing so well, is testament that tourism does'nt affect their advances. Same applies to the Lions in Gir.

The Maldhari's there, live alongside the lions, they and the lions enjoy the strict security.

But in places like Ranthambore there is nothing for the tigers ! Not that there are are that many tigers in Ranthambore. However, there are far too many hotels, and far too many people.

It would only take one day to sort out, if I were in charge.

If anyone is wondering what has this to do with travel ? I would answer that, tiger tourism accounts for many travellers to India, as much as for the Taj Mahal, and the beaches of Goa. So its very much travel related

Lowestoft, United...
Destination Expert
for Varkala Town, India
Level Contributor
15,985 posts
168 reviews
125 helpful votes
3. Re: The problem with tiger tourism !

It has everything to do with travel orbis. All good and valid comments so far. The Chinese have a lot to answer for in their medieval ways. Don't get me started on the ill treatment of bears; also down to the Chinese and their wish for bile. What for?

Maybe obliterate China and problem sorted!

Oops, this will probably get deleted but do I care; nooo

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
180 reviews
139 helpful votes
4. Re: The problem with tiger tourism !

Corbett has 4 entrances while Ranthambore just one.All visitation is within 25 sq km of an area in excess of 1000 sq km. Nearly every one who sees the tiger here are likely to see a tigress and her two cubs who have now grown and I think they have had a litter of their own.The presence of an ancient temple within the reserve where locals come to worship adds to the footfall ,without adequate control. Most of the hotels have come up in the last 15 years in areas which were bid out by the tourism department. The safaris in the park are conducted in vehicles owned by these hotels who have had to hand over the vehicles to the forest department. The forest department does not see revenue generation as their mandate. If you see the pattern of ownership of the hotels you will see links with some of the most vociferous conservationists. All jobs created have gone to outsiders with no attempt to integrate the locals with the visitor experience.Most conservationists oppose the rehabilitation plans drafted by the government.

Most visitors focus on tiger sighting ignoring all the other species and the guides have scripted a predictable commentary during the game drive.

Visitation to the park has increased from about 10000 a year to around 170000 in a span of 15 years, with very little creative change in managing this increase.

The situation can be redeemed if there is a will but with the current political scenario, expectations are low,

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
38 helpful votes
5. Re: The problem with tiger tourism !

Most guides are only interested in the tips they may get ! Thats why I always use Tigersincorbett, regardless of which park I am visiting. Wherever it is, I am content in the knowledge that my guide will be putting my interests first.

I travel by air a lot. When it comes to retrieving my suitcase I curse, because everyone will insist upon standing so close to the carousel, on which the suitcases appear. If they were to just stand back a little, everyone could easily see the luggage, and grab it as it passes by.

The same could be applied to Tiger tourism.

India, the whole world, wants more tigers. but it is never going to happen. Until that is, people move away from the tigers land.

All this talk of villagers needing the income from tiger tourism, is a double edged blade. Yes they need the income, but in order to try to earn that income, they increasingly encroach upon the tigers habitat. Tigers subsequently attack the people and their livestock, and in return the people poison the tigers.

Whilst poaching is barbaric, it does'nt take away so nearly as many tigers as do people living so close to the those tigers.

Have you ever seen a queue in India ?

Very few I'll bet ! Most probably what you have seen, is a mass of people pushing in one direction, for whatever reason.

In the case of villagers surrounding tiger parks, they are all pushing, to cash in on the tigers popularity, and try to earn a living from it. Does that remind you of trying to collect your suitcases from the carousel at the airport ?

If India wishes to increase tiger numbers, it must move the masses that surround each, and every tiger park, and permit the cats to spread out in all directions.

Few people who read this, will need telling by me, or anyone else, that tigers, and the human population will never mix safely, for either species. Tigers dont know any different to what mamma tiger taught them, and just go out each day to catch food to survive, the only other functions they have is to breed, and play their role in the great cycle of life.

Humans on the other hand, who are supposed to be so vastly superior to the rest of the animal kingdom, could set an example, and prove that superior intelligence is a thing to behold, and that the human race actually has that intelligence.

So stand back from the cases, and let me see when mine comes around, and when it does, I can easily reach out and get it.

The alternative is akin to killing the goose that lays those golden eggs.

For what its worth, my advice would be, to move everyone away from, lets say Ranthambore, plant more trees, and create a bigger home for the tigers. At the very least it would make the carousel bigger in circumference, to allow more to stand around it.

Oh, and another really useful contribution to the wildlife of India, would be ...

STOP BREEDING SO MANY HUMANS

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
216 reviews
210 helpful votes
6. Re: The problem with tiger tourism !

^^^ Well put^^^

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
38 helpful votes
7. Re: The problem with tiger tourism !

Thank you Emma, your post reminds me of Binsar !

The view of the mountain peaks

^^^^ ^^^^ LOL

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
216 reviews
210 helpful votes
8. Re: The problem with tiger tourism !

<<your post reminds me of Binsar ! The view of the mountain peaks

^^^^ ^^^^ LOL>>

:-) pmsl!

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
180 reviews
139 helpful votes
9. Re: The problem with tiger tourism !

Tourism need not be the only revenue generator from our forests. Viewing a tiger does not need be the only attraction of visiting a forested area. About 15 reserves receive more than 80% of the traffic. In each of the reserves, if you exclude week ends and peak holiday periods, the traffic is not very high. Less than 25% of the traffic is from overseas. So the current situation is the outcome over many years of skewed planning and deployment of resources.

Tourism which finally does not benefit the communities, which have existed at the fringe of forests and had a symbiotic relationship with nature, can be shifted out and other economic activities with less intrusion worked out..

It is better to get rid of the tourists and the attendant problems, than the original inhabitants and that is the point of view that the courts have taken.

While you have talked about the immense population, the challenges of equal opportunities for those marginalized, can not be wished away to provide indulgences for a relatively narrow sliver of the population.

So while I am not in disagreement with you on several points, my sympathies would be with the original forest communities, many who have been displaced and lost their identity.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
38 helpful votes
10. Re: The problem with tiger tourism !

Firstly, I would like to say that I for one, would like to see many of the hotels, and buildings, around tiger parks removed, and future construction prohibited. Why is there any need, to have 10 times the number of rooms available, than the numbers permitted entry to a park on any given day ?

["Tourism need not be the only income generator"]

Other than mining companies, what else would generate such an income,

(given the fact that each tiger generates a million dollars during its lifetime, and even then, usually manages to produce another set of paws and claws, or maybe more than just the one set, generation, after generation) to provide local communities with employment, and a way of providing for the family welfare ?

I totally agree that there is a lot more to see in the forests of India, other than tigers. But, I do not for a second think, that many of those things would generate anywhere nearly so much interest as that created by the Stripes family. Take away the tourism, and many will go hungry, not only that, but the entire community will go backward in time in many ways.

["About 15 reserves receive more than 80% of the traffic"]

That, to my mind at least, suggests that the other parks need improving,

and making bigger. There is nothing worse than a poorly managed tiger

park, for visitors, or tigers. Especially the tigers, I now think of Sariska !

As for the "less than 25%", I would bet a Dollar to a Rupee, that the "less than 25%" portion of visitors, provide more than 85% of the income

to each park ! Its not just the hike in entry fees, permit fees, etc, that go towards the local economies. The amount that goes on hotels is much greater, due to longer stays, and more safaris, more side trips, taxi rides, etc, but especially tips. I have it on good authority that Indians pay poorly in that department, and that they are also very good on spreading litter everywhere, fail to observe rules, and make lots of noise. But as you say, it should not just be about tigers creating income for humans, the tigers needs should be considered too. By making parks much bigger, and managing them much better, the tigers needs will be well taken care of. I am sure you would agree ?

The alternative route of encouraging fewer visitors, and reducing the

income by 85%, well .. That doesnt sound too good for anyone, does it ?

Like you Prem, I am majorly concerned for the welfare of local people.

In Corbett, for instance, because I have greater knowledge of that

particular park, and its workings, people are being educated by tigers !

With the help of "Tiger Dollars" many children are being encouraged to

learn skills at an early age that will take them better prepared for the

modern world (be that good or bad) into their adult lives, and able to

get jobs, that their parents could not even dream about. Many adults

too, are being taught English, again by "Tiger Dollar". There is still a

long way to go, but nowadays many youngsters are, no longer gathering

grasses, and wood, from the forest. They are drinking clean, cooled,

water at school. That is due to the foresightedness, and planning of a

couple of idiots who care. One of those idiots was concerned for the

tigers, and one wanted to help his local community. When this planning

commenced several years ago, there were thought to be around 84 Tigers

in Corbett, now there are upwards of 230. Tourism does'nt seem to have

impaired tigers in Corbett. But now, Corbett tiger numbers are causing

them to spread out, claiming territories that presently belong to human

dwellers. The people who live so close to the park are the problem.

Dress it up anyhow you like, but it all boils down to one small matter, tigers need more land, and man has it. Will man give up the land to the tiger, or not ?

Mr Ajay Dubey's court action, is a step to improve the tigers realm, and

increase the chances of tigers avoiding extinction in the wild, by

establishing, and upholding, demarcated areas known as "Core", &

"Buffer" zones. People, or many of the people, should not be living in those buffer zones, let alone the core zones, as they are in some parks.

If there is any way that Tiger, and Man can peacefully co-exist, on the same land, I would like to see it implemented. As there is no possible chance of that ever happening, there will only ever be one loser !

My reference to the immense population of India, has nothing at all to

do with tigers !

Edited: 11 years ago
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.