We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do people do who don't get a waitlisted seat?

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
What do people do who don't get a waitlisted seat?

This entire train thing is driving me nuts. I am trying to get tickets on the sleeper from Delhi to Jaisalmer in a couple weeks. Of course, there is nothing left except waitlisted; I'd really like 1AC but will take 2AC if necessary. Waitlists in 2AC range from 2 to 14 people. Waitlists in 1AC range from 2 to 5, but I assume there is actually less of a chance to get one of these because there are fewer seats in this category.

Bottom line: if I sign up for the waitlisted tickets and don't get them, then what do I do? I know that the entire waitlist thing can be kind of a game becaue many people book more tickets than they need and then cancel at the last minute. I just want to know when this whole thing falls apart and doesn't work out, what do people do when it triggers the domino effect of messing up the rest of the trip? Thanks.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,044 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do people do who don't get a waitlisted seat?

You can look for other categories also like ACthree tier berth. There is also one Tatkal quota which opens three days before. You can try that. To know about how this works you can look at www.seat61.com.

You can look at ordinary sleeper class if you get reservation there is better chance.

deepak

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do people do who don't get a waitlisted seat?

No it is not any kind of game. You buy wait listed ticket means you stand in a queue to get in. When tickets get cancelled, your wait listed number moves up. It keeps changing daily depending upon the cancellation of the tickets.

Now your question, what happens to the waitlisted ticket if it does not get confirmed? You have to go and get it cancelled from the railway station booking window or on internet and they deduct a small charge.

try the following link on cancellation rules

https:/…etktcanc.html

There is one more way. Just 48 hours before the journey date, you can try for "TATKAL" quota, i.e. those who wish to travel but cannot book in advance, like business trips etc. Railways charge a small official premium for such tickets. Tickets under Tatkal quota are released 48 hours in advance.

Tatkal booking opens at 8 AM on Two days in advance actual date of journey excluding date of journey w.e.f. of 01-08-2009, e.g. for train leaving on 6th, Tatkal Booking will Commence at 8 AM on 4th.

Try this link for more info

yatra.com/railway-reservation/tatkal-rules.h…

Suppose you do not get reservation in Tatkal scheme and also your wait listed ticket does not get confirmed, then try Luxury Coach service up to Jaisalmer from Jaipur

Please do not lose your heart when things do not turn out as per your expectations. There are ways to overcome. Never say die.

Sanjiv

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do people do who don't get a waitlisted seat?

Thank you. I went with 3AC and managed to get 2 tickets RAC which I think means that I will get on the train, but there is no guarantee that we will actually get bunks. Correct?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do people do who don't get a waitlisted seat?

RAC is better than just wait listed.

RAC has first preference when cancellation of confirmed ticket takes place.

RAC passengers are allotted confirmed seats and when they get confirmed they are allotted sleeping berth otherwise during the night journey the RAC passengers without berth are required to do his journey in a sitting position.

There is 95 to 99% chance that you will get berth in case of RAC. During rush season, Railways consider adding extra carriages also.

Sanjiv

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do people do who don't get a waitlisted seat?

Thank you. Now I feel a little bit more assured. Are cars added at the last minute or earlier usually?

6. Re: What do people do who don't get a waitlisted seat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2013, 14:58