We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where in Asia can i find.....?

lissy26
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where in Asia can i find.....?

Hi everyone,

Im looking at going travelling to Asia and am in need of some advice.

I want to do something abit different like yoga/ tia chi/ martial arts/ reiki/ meditation whilst staying in the mountains/ somewhere peacefull and quiet so i can get some general relaxation and heal my body as well as learn some new skills.

Question is, is there anywhere anyone knows of that I can do this where I am not going to be putting myself at a considerable amount of risk (i.e risk outweighing the benifit) as i will be travelling alone and am a white western female.

Does such a place even exist? or do I need to go to places as Goa ect to do things like yoga and be relitively safe as there seems to be alot of tourists there, ( yes, this doesn't mean definate saftey and anyhting can happen anywhere in this day and age)

I've been looking inot Goa and it seems that it's abit of a toursit trap with abit of a drinking culture. Nothing wrong with that, just I did that in my early twenties and want a different expereince this time.

Any advice/expereinces/suggestions welcome,

Thnakyou = )

Cochin
Level Contributor
485 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: where in Asia can i find.....?

Hi Lissy

welcome.

You can choose Kerala. Stay in Munnar hill station. there good hotels , also you can stay in Munnar high range club, earlier operated by British people. you can try yoga, culture program. Nothing to worry about you are traveling alone. but select the accommodation care fully. there very well know hotels in Munnar and all part of Kerala. it is really safe for alone stay.

you can stay in hill station, wild life, world famous beach at Kovalam, Ayurveda wellness program, day cruise house boat in Alleppey, many thing you can try.

Cost wise Kerala is very economical for accommodation, food and traveling

Regards

Samson Samuel

JV Holidays Pvt. Ltd. Cochin, Kerala, India

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
for Kolkata, Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,337 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where in Asia can i find.....?

I can suggest a good place recommended by many of my friends, its expensive but worth it.

http://anandaspa.com/content/default.asp

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where in Asia can i find.....?

You should also have a look at Sri Lanka.

lissy26
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: where in Asia can i find.....?

Thanks guys, that really helpful, given me a starting place. Iherd Shri Lanka is amazing so I will have a look at that too.

The biggest thing i'm concerned about is how to get to my destinations from the airport. Since I posted the above message, i have done some research and worked out the route i want to take- dheli, mumbai, goa, Kerala. Trouble is im getting mixed messages about the transport in terms of how safe it is. My friend from Banglor says it's fine but other western men and women who have been saying I shouldn't do it alone...confused.lol, any advice welcome.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where in Asia can i find.....?

Hi Lissy26,

IMO, you are generally safe in India, subject to you following the normal traveller's intuitions. Never out late in the night or evening, remain with the crowd, do not revel, dress aptly etc., most of which you would be aware of. As for the destination, Kerala and Sri Lanka looked similar to me. But, you would get spoilt for choices in Kerala. You also have a lot of yogic institutions and have more than one way of doing things. You may look at www.nilayoram.com, as it might interest you. As far as transportation is concerned, not in the safety angle (these are generally considered safe), but for convenience, I would suggest, do the longer distances by flights and the shorter ones by trains or buses or even cabs.

Have a great trip ahead and return back with some new found skills,

Regards

Prasanna

lissy26
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: where in Asia can i find.....?

Thankyou soo much! it's just I herd that If you take the train everybody runs for it before it gets to the station and children are kicking and punching you out of the way. I know it will be busy and full on (so i have herd)that i'm fine with, just want to find out what i'm getting myself into before i go. But thankyou, that has put my mind at rest. thankyou for the yoga info also, another one to look up = )

do you know which cab/bus/train service i should use when i get to Goa airport or any airport really? how much should i expect to pay?

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where in Asia can i find.....?

Hi Lissy26,

It really depends(cab/bus/train service) on where you are starting from. And the info of the running,kicking,punching is right, but it is limited to the unreserved tickets category. When you have a reserved seat or a berth, you may right royally walk in and nobody would be occupying that, be rest assured. I admit, it is not as orgainsed as in the western world, but, yes, when you have the right reservations, nobody would bother you and more so if you are a westerner, as guests are our god.

Regards

Prasanna

lissy26
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: where in Asia can i find.....?

ah, ok, that makes sense, i confirmed this a man at work who is from Banglor, he said it's fine if you book in advance. How do i go about doing that? i've asked around in travel agents here but all they have is a train pass which doesn't reserve me a seat. I would be going from Dheli to Goa to Kerala and Maybe Banglor, does that make any difference?Thankyou for your reply = )

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where in Asia can i find.....?

You may book your tickets online in any of the following websites, www.makemytrip.com, www.cleartrip.com, www.irctc.co.in, etc. You would have to do your reservations sectorwise and between stations. I would recommend you to visit www.seat61.com for some basic info on Indian Railways. All the places you have mentioned have several stations, hence, if you can post your plan, some of us can help you with the exact details

lissy26
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: where in Asia can i find.....?

Sorry for the late reply but here is my travel route that i wish to take through India travelling from North to south, (I have posted this on another thread so appologese if you have already read it before)

1) fly into Delhi- express train to main station in Delhi

2)train to Agra from Delhi

3) vist Agra Fort- stay one night in Agra (cab to fort and back from hotel?)

4)cab to Tajmahal for sunrise and stay until sunset- one night in Jaipur?

5)train back to Delhi or onto next destination heading south by train or plane. (i would prefere train so i get to see more)

ok, so the above is just a rough plan of the route i would like to take. Please correct any parts that will not work and feel free to add in more suggestions

For example- buses to hotles instead of taxis.

Also, after this my next route south I would like to take would be

1)Jodhpur

2)Goa

3) gokana

4)Madurai

4)Kerala

5)Wayanad (for the wildlife sanctuary) My freind from Banglor told me this is near Kerala?

6)Fly to Mumbai from Trivandrum and then on Home.

Again, please add in any suggestions for this route as to which would be safest and if possible easiest. Im looking at getting an railpass for this, does anybody know if this would mean my seats WOULD be reserved. if not do i have to pre-book the whole trip by train before i go?

Many Thanks all for your patience as i know this one is a long email = )