We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiruchendur

delhi
4 posts
Save Topic
Tiruchendur

In my last post (Kanyakumari)i came to know about Tiruchendur a religious place.I would like to travle to tht place.Can i get more details about it

Thanks

chennai
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiruchendur

Hi Hari

Welcome back again.Tiruchendur is a religious place.The famous temple in Tiruchendur for Lord Murugan (I think in north u may call as Lord Karthik).It is a typical South Indian temple located in the sea shore.

Valli cave and Nalikinaru is around the temple to visit.In Nalikinaru (well) is hardly 100 m from the sea.But water generates in it,is sweet.

As it is near the seashore u can spend some time in the cool breeze.But the beach is not so clean.

A day is enough to visit this place.Accommodation wont be the problem in this place.U can get budget as well as gud hotels.

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiruchendur

Great Details Shiva

I've been to Tiruchendur a long time ago and vaguely remember the seashore temple.

I hear it is packed with people and on auspicious days the crowds can be really huge. Is it so?

Any advise on days / times / ocassions to avoid are most welcome.

Rajan

chennai
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiruchendur

Hi

Excactly, always it will be quite crowded.Its better to avoid to visit in the Festival called Sashti in month of November.In this time you cant even enter into entrance of the temple.Also its better to avoid

to visit in week end and school leave ocassions.

Cheers

Shiva

www.indiantravelguide.org

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiruchendur

Among the Kartikkeya temples, as per the Skanda Purana, Tiruchendur is the second holiest after Palani. The interesting thing about Tiruchendur is that while usually Kartikkeya's major temples are on hills (the mountains are dear to him), Tiruchendur is an exception, it is on the sea. That's because the legend is that Kartikkeya defeated a demon here named Surapadman. The demon attacked him taking the form of a mango tree (don't ask me why!), and then when Kartikkeya cut it into two, the two parts became a rooster and a peacock. That's how Kartikkeya got the peacock as his vehicle :) And if you want to know what happened to the rooster, well he showed his grace to the demon by taking the rooster and placing it on his own banner. See this image: http://www.vanamaliashram.org/Kata33.jpg

It is a beautiful temple, and its a good idea to visit! There are many festivals in the temple, you can see this page for a list of the festivals and also for some very interesting stories about why the soil around Tiruchendur is red in colour:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiruchendur

How interesting and varied these legends and stories are! I always enjoy them.

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiruchendur

Thanks Shiva and Deepa

The 'Kandha Puranam' (as it is known in the south) and the 'Arupadai Veedu' (6 temples of the God) are folk lore in South India and my daughter has always been pushing me to get to Tiruchendur.

However, i've heard horror tales about the huge crowds from a few friends and recently a neighbour and i am looking at timing the visit when the crowd is tolerable. This means - avoiding festivals - which in turn means missing the culture and tradition . . . . Life is a tough set of options . . isn't it?

Will keep you posted.

Rajan

6. Re: Tiruchendur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 14:50