We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked train ticket..what does RAC mean?

Ontario
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Booked train ticket..what does RAC mean?

Hello

I have booked and received my e-ticket for train travel in India. I used the irctc website, which was fine.

My e-ticket shows I have a spot on a certain train..but I dont have a berth/coach/seat number--it just says RAC 1. What does that mean? Do I have a seat on that train, or not? I think it means that I get a seat when someone cancels...but how do I know if that has happened????

Thanks

True

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked train ticket..what does RAC mean?

RAC is resrvation against cancellation. RAC 1 means that the very first cancellation they get, the seat will be alloted to you. The website has a place where you can check ticket status.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked train ticket..what does RAC mean?

but u have a assured place inside coach somewhere..that means ur ticket is almost confirm..u were going..

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked train ticket..what does RAC mean?

RAC also indicates that you have a assured Seat and against any Cancellation you will be alloted a confirmed Sleeper Berth.

If its RAC1 no need to worry you will get a Confirmed Sleeper by the day of your journey.

You can keep checking your status as well using the PNR status option.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked train ticket..what does RAC mean?

Yes, RAC means at the very least, you're in the train!

The irctc website defines it like this:

RESERVATION AGAINST CANCELLATION (R.A.C.) :- The passengers whose names figure under R.A.C., are provided reserved sitting accommodation initially and are likely to get berths becoming vacant due to last minutes cancellation of reservation of passengers not turning up in time before the departure of the train.

Ontario
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked train ticket..what does RAC mean?

Thankyou all...I looked and looked for the REAL definition, and could not find it.

I selected TWO lower berths, for me and my companion...perhaps I should just take any berths, so that for SURE I have a berth? (its an overnight train..) I could cancel the booked ticket, and start over I guess--not asking for TWO loser berths in the same coach?

Or do you think I shouldnt worry about getting a berth, as the likelihood is good that I WILL have a sleeper?

Thanks for your opinions/advice

True

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked train ticket..what does RAC mean?

As long your Travel Date is not immediate and have a weeks time, then without any doubt you will get a confirmed accommodation. You can use the below link to enter your 10 digit PNR No. and you will see the status. Who knows by this time you might have already got a confirmed if there was a Cancellation

http://www.indianrail.gov.in/pnr_stat.html

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked train ticket..what does RAC mean?

No need to cancel they (Railways) will allot ur berth number on day before ur journy or on a same day..all u need to check ur PNR status..and u all will get berth together in a same coach..so no need to be worry abt anything for RAC status...some pessangers use train for near by station..when they got off from the train..then there birth would be alloted to RAC status passangers...sometimes due to cancellations RAC could be converted into fully confirm tickets...keep on checking ur PNR status becoz RAC tickets could be confirmed quickly....

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked train ticket..what does RAC mean?

I was just wondering - which class are you travelling by? If its 3 tier AC, no problem...you'll get confirmed berths by the date of travel. However, if its 2 tier AC, then it could be a problem since there are fewer coaches (1 or 2) of 2 tier. Which sector is this for?

Ontario
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked train ticket..what does RAC mean?

I have booked a Second Class AC 2.

will keep checking...

Thanks !

T

10. Re: Booked train ticket..what does RAC mean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 16:55